Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.223 load for accuracy

digerup

A couple of months ago I purchased a POF AR, I have been trying to find a load that I am happy with and havent been able to do that yet. I have a 8" twist barrel, I thought maybe a heavier bullet might be the answer so I tried a 70 gr match hornady and got a 2.6" group at 100 yds. The 50 and 55 gr bullets I have tried have averaged 1.25 up to a 2" group. The federal white box ammo has been compareable to my best handloads. Ive tried 55gr hornady spitzers, v-max, winchester bulk 50 gr., 2230 powder and BLC2. I would like to find a bulk bullet that shoots well, or am I expecting too much.

I know it may not be the bulk bullet you are looking for, but I have had good groups with 68g bthp Hornady over TAC. I made several trips to the range to find the right load, but it was fun. Not sure of the weight for the TAC, but I could look in the cave if you want it. 1/9 twist

I have always kept on hand a box of Fed Gold Medal Match with 69gr SMKs as a bench mark for accuracy.

I have been able to handload stuff that shoots better but when i say better, I mean a 100 yd group that is about 0.2" smaller.

If FGMM won't shoot, I'd look at the bolt and check head space.

The gun makes the difference for me. JP 1 in 8 Twist

Scope IOR 1-8x

100 yard tunnel

bipod and bag rear rest

Load:

Bullet: 69 SMK

Primers: Federal Small Rifle Match

Brass: Assorted but mostly LC and Scharch

Powder: VV133, either 23.5 or 24.3 grains - 2725 or 2925 fps (24.6 grains - 2990-3010 fps)

Best Group: 1/4 MOA average for two shots, usually three holes touching for about 1/3 MOA. The shooter is the main cause for the spread. I think this load will shoot 1/4 MOA consistently. I have done it on 5 separate days and typically two to three times each session.

BTW: i believe I did 1/2 MOA with Hornady (68 gr I think) ammo too.

i've gotten postive results (1-1.5 moa) using hornady 55gr fmj and 24 gr of aa2230. i'm using mixed headstamp brass so keep powder charge near starting weight...

maybe an obvious question, but to the OP - how are you testing from the bench? if you're already using a magnified optic and front and rear bags, then disregard the question. If not, maybe worth looking at your benchrest technique? the load I mentioned above will do 1-1.5" or so from a bench, but only if I put on a magnified optic and sandbag the gun. if i keep the eotech on there and just shoot prone, I get 3" groups. i think this probably says more about my shooting abilities (and handicaps) then my reloading skills...

you could also start doing some ladder testing but they may be overkill (i.e. not return definitive results for the effort required) if you're just shooting at 100 yards.

edited because i cannot spell

Edited by jaredr

are you wanting to stay within magazine length i assuming? different powder/bullet combos is really the only thing to try.

I have the same Burris 1-4 scope you have. that dot can be tough to get real precise with.

Try Varget! You also want to check your cases, barrel twist is a key combined with bullet selection.

My current load for 223 is Varget with 77gr Sierra matchking at about 2700 fps. I also use match primers... My rifle shoots sub .25" at 100 meters all day.

DVC,

Sandro

Try higher optics with magnification and good (not white box stuff) store bought ammo. If it still won't group decent from a solid bench off of bags, I would look within or maybe hardware.

I had a similar problem recently and some had recommended removing my comp/hider. I did not listen initially and tried a bunch of other stuff. I finally fired a group with the comp/hider off and groups tightened up noticeably. After that, I have tested a few hiders vs a bare barrel and was amazed to see how much some attachments affected my groups...

I am using once fired brass, freshly trimmed, full length sized. Tonight after trying a few different powders I finally found a load that shoots about .75 moa. 55gr v-max and a military surplus powder WC844. Gun seems very finicky, shot 3 powders and 2 different bullets tonight, 5 loads were 2moa and 1 good load. Higher magnification may tighten that up a little. I think I will try this powder on a 70gr match that shot 2.5 moa with 2230. I have a couple of DPMS .223's that shoot almost anything 1moa +. Also going to shoot these over the chrony, previous rounds that shot poorly had about a 40fps deviation.