Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm and 38 super dies

digerup

I just purchased a 38 super and was going to load some rounds, my rcbs dies are for 38 super or 9mm. I ordered a set of dillon dies specifically for 38 super but they havent arrived yet. Is there enought difference between the dies to make a difference, I understand that 9mm is a tapered case and 38 super is a straight wall, so are rcbs dies tapered or straight?

I have always used 38 super dies to load 9mm with no problems. I think they feed better. The 38 super dies size down to .384 at the base as the 9mm die sizes down to .391 at the base. It takes care of that bulged casing very nicely. But hey, don't listen to me.

the dies are not the same, but, i know a few shooters who reload .38super with an 9mm die set, and it works fine for them, no malfunction or what so ever, a few weeks ago i started to work on some 9mm loads, and by accident i made the first batch of 100 with my .38super dies, i have shot them but no problem at all.

Edited by bassochist

I experimented with both a set of 9mm dies and a set of 38 Super dies for loading 9x23mm (I changed one die at a time to see the effects). The one thing I did notice is that a 38 Super gun seems to be able to chamber and fire a 9x23 but a 9x23 will not chamber and fire a 38 Super regardless of whether it was reloaded on a 38 Super or 9mm die set. Of course a custom chamber cut could make it work. The only rounds off my press that don't chamber in my 9x23 gun are either 38 Super reloads of any type and some early Starline 9 Super Comp that accidentally got size when I was experimenting with the 38 Super dies. Current Starline 9x23 brass is labeled "9x23 Comp" and it has a new internal taper to allow the use of 147g bullets. So to answer the question reload 9x19-9x23 with a set of 9mm dies only it is better to leave 38 Super for 38 Super dies. RCBS lists a set of dies that cover all those calibers and one of my local gunshops has a set but I'm not inclined to buy them and see if they really do.