Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm with Win 231 loads

NickAument

Are you guys running reduced power recoil springs? I'm up to 3.7 gr of hp-38 behind xtreme 147 gr bullets @ 1.15 oal out of my stock glock 34 and am yet to have a round cycle the slide. Got some 3.8, 3.9 and 4.0's loaded up to try this weekend. 3.7 felt hot enough to make pf, but was stove piping.

EDIT: ran out to the range before work this morning, 4.0 grains is still not enough to get the stock G34 cycling. No signs of overpressure, but I'm not sure how much further I'm willing to go.

Really? I'm also running 147gr Xtremes with 3.3 gr of HP38 and I cycle fine. Glock 34 gen 4 - standard springs. Chrono ave was 850 - need a touch more to make minor PF, but no cycle issues

Well, I could tell you a story about rookie mistakes and a garage sale scale that didn't quite work right, but the situation is resolved. Haven't chrono'd it, but 3.5 grains is running like a champ. Lesson learned, check, double check and triple check everything...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha! Good that your load works!.

When I first started reloading, I had the rifle cylinder in the powder measure. Trouble was, I was loading 9mm - it'd throw 3.8 gr, then 4.0 gr, then 3.5, etc etc etc.

I tried calibrating the thing for days until I figured out that I had the wrong thing in there. Live and learn I guess :)

• 1 month later...

I just shot and chronoed about 120 rds of 147 gr lead / 3.5 of 231 with a COAL of:

1.154=949 fps

1.145=983 fps

No issues other than a couple times where my G34 didn't lock open on empty with the 1.154 loads. Gonna move to the middle of both and load 200 more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 years later...

I just shot and chronoed about 120 rds of 147 gr lead / 3.5 of 231 with a COAL of:

1.154=949 fps

1.145=983 fps

No issues other than a couple times where my G34 didn't lock open on empty with the 1.154 loads. Gonna move to the middle of both and load 200 more

I am surprised that a .009 change in OAL resulted in a 34 change in FPS which is approximately a change of a PF of 5. Not doubting your numbers, just hard to understand.

• 4 weeks later...

124gr MG CMJ @ 1.160" OAL, 5.0gr WW231, ~136PF (one of my two standard 9mm minor loads)

147gr Berrys Plated RN @ 1.165" OAL, 4.0gr WW231, ~138PF (a load originally developed for my suppressors some time ago, rejected in favor of a Power Pistol load)

Walkure, would you be able to share your Power Pistol load recipe and data please?

I want to use it for my XDm open gun w a comp.

Thanks.

Rich