Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking to start 3 gun shooting.

Jeff722

Hello all new to this forum and was wondering if I'm on the right track to start 3 gun. I am purchasing a Spikes Tactical M4 with a 1:7, should I change the twist to 1:9. Next I am looking to get a magazine extension for my Stoeger M2000 and lastly I am undecided if I should use my sig 226 or go with a Springfield XDM40.

I would skip the M4 and buy a 20" rifle with a gvmt weight barrel. 1-8 twist is perfect, but 1-7 won't hurt you at all. Pistols are completely up to you. All of that has been discussed a lot if you spend a few hours searching old posts. The main thing is to get started at a match or 2 and go from there. If you add your location to your profile you might find someone local to you on here with some advice on matches and such.

Most people in tac optics are using a midlength or rifle length gas system with a 16 or 18" barrel and 1/8 twist. 1/9s shoot well with 55gr bullets (some 1/9s shoot the heavier bullets very well also). Limited division (iron sights) is dominated by 20" barrels with extended sight radius'. I think most people would advise against getting a carbine length gas system for 3 gun. You can just get the mid and rifle length gas guns to shoot softer (less recoil).

Isn't the Stoeger 2000 a copy of a Benelli M1? If it is, you should be good to go by adding a tube and practicing loading it.

Shoot the pistol you are the most comfortable/proficient with (or just like the best).

Welcome to the addiction.

Hurley

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with the above comments but equipment while important is not determinative. Your equipment is fine. Twist rate in rifles is almost irrelevant. Most importantly get good zeroes on all your guns, esp. the rifle. Practicing loading your shotgun and then practice some more. Then work on rifle positions. Then shotgun loading. Then check zeroes. Repeat as needed.