Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Morons

Pat Miles

My next door neighbor has been having a problem with an old sprinkler feed pipe that started leaking in his back yard. Initially he and his college age son dug up the problem pipe and tried to cap it. Old galvanized pipe which finally gave up the ghost. They find a union and t4ry to screw a PVC cap on it. Cap leaks so they wrap it with teflon tape. The cap still leaked so they apply more tape. Still leaks so they dial up a friend who is supposedly well versed in the ways of plumbing. Well, dumb shows up with his partner dumber and they proceed to start digging up the water main that runs between our houses. Only problem is that the water main runs to the front of the houses in our neighborhood and these bozos dug up the natural gas line that fed the gas meter a couple of feet from where they were. They were about five minutes from cutting into it with a sawzall when I came out to see what they were up to. After telling them that they were about to die and possibly burn down two houses they decide to dig beyond the gas meter where they found the pipe that fed water to the backyard. Now their cap leaks but at least it's water not natural gas. How do people this stupid stay alive?

Pat

Finally talked with the neighbor's wife (he's out of town) and explained what had happened and asked in a forceful way that she call the gas company to check out the pipe as I saw D & D'er hit the pipe with a pick axe a couple of times while digging it up. She does so and comes over a few minutes later and asks me to talk with the GasCo dispatcher. Dispatcher tells me that since we do not smell gas they are not sending anybody out. Not a problem I tell her and ask for the repair ticket number for my call. She asks why I need it and I tell her that as the suspected damage was reported the GasCo is now responsible for any possible problem (explosion, etc.). The dispatcher immediately tells me she will dispatch out. I worked for the local TelCo for 32 years before I retired and worked with their field folks a bunch on damaged cables and gas lines. Just need to know how to tweak their noses.

Pat

My next door neighbor has been having a problem with an old sprinkler feed pipe that started leaking in his back yard. Initially he and his college age son dug up the problem pipe and tried to cap it. Old galvanized pipe which finally gave up the ghost. They find a union and t4ry to screw a PVC cap on it. Cap leaks so they wrap it with teflon tape. The cap still leaked so they apply more tape. Still leaks so they dial up a friend who is supposedly well versed in the ways of plumbing. Well, dumb shows up with his partner dumber and they proceed to start digging up the water main that runs between our houses. Only problem is that the water main runs to the front of the houses in our neighborhood and these bozos dug up the natural gas line that fed the gas meter a couple of feet from where they were. They were about five minutes from cutting into it with a sawzall when I came out to see what they were up to. After telling them that they were about to die and possibly burn down two houses they decide to dig beyond the gas meter where they found the pipe that fed water to the backyard. Now their cap leaks but at least it's water not natural gas. How do people this stupid stay alive?

Pat

They live because smart people save them..(it is in your best interest not to be toasted along with them) :cheers:

Sure glad you stoped in to check on them!!!!!!!!!!

back when i lived in Los Alamos..a guy blew up his house, killed his whole family, and burned several other houses.

He was trying to tap into a gas line to steal gas to heat his swimming pool.

This guy was a MORON!...and had a PHD in physics :blink:

Jim

GasCo repairman showed up. I apologized for screwing up his evening to which he replied that it wasn't a problem. It was his job and it was better to be safe than sorry. He dug the pipe up and saw where it had been hit. No punctures so he wrapped it up with sealing tape and buried the pipe again. Nice guy.

Pat

Yikes !

Around here it's a requirement to call before any digging so they can identify gas lines etc. that don't react well to sharp/pointy objects.

Yeah, we've got "One Call" here in New Mexico but the stupid ones don't use it even though it's free. Too much trouble I guess.

Pat

I worked utility construction for a while as a sub-contract operator for the gas company and power company, it was amazing some of the things that we would see people do when working around underground utilities. Some people have no concept as to just how dangerous underground utilities are, and when you explain that to them they get offended and tell you they have been working around them for years, which makes me wonder how they have managed to live as long as they have.

Jeff