Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Revolver Modification

Gary Stevens

For the Stock Service Revolver division of IDPA the rulebook says:

• Change of sights to another conventional notch and post type

• Action work to enhance trigger pull as long as safety is maintained

(smoothing the trigger face and removing the hammer spur are

considered action work and are permitted)

• Change of grips to another style or material that is similar to factory

configuration (no weighted grips)

• Chamfer the rear of the chambers

• Shortening of factory barrels

• Custom finishes

Based on this info I'd say that a moon clip conversion would not be legal.

• 6 months later...

This is one of the revolver rules that I think that should be changed. I understand the arguement that IDPA not become an "arms race" to keep costs down, but I think that allowing Moon Clip conversions will do that.

Most people agree that moon clips are faster (and more convenient) than speed loaders. Unfortunatly, HQ says you can't have a smith do a $70 conversion on your existing 38/357 revolver. Instead you should by a new 38 Super\40\45 revolver that comes with moon clips. Aggh.....

In a world where Wilson ssells $30 magazines, I don't see the rule against a $70 upgrade.

Just my $.02

I saw a 9mm Smith and Wesson with a 4-inch barrel once ... but I have no idea what model it was. My vague memory tells me it was the k-frame size (it had six holes in the cylinder).

The "no conversion to moonclips" thing is only one among many things that make little sense, especially since the same gun would be okay if it came from the S&W custom shop in the same configuration.

Steve Moneypenny,

I shot with Jerry Miculek at the Area-3 match and at one point we had about a 2 hour wait so we talked all kind of stuff, 3-guns ect.

At one point I mentioned to him that I had found a new 646 and was in the process of trying to buy it, he said that it was a neat gun and should be a great IDPA gun. I told him I thought I would like it as I have kind of short fingers and thought the L frame would be the ticket for me.

He then told me that he was talking with S&W about making a 9mm L frame just for the IDPA/ICORE crowd as their power factor was so much lower than USPSA/IPSC (major that is) but that is just in the talking stage so just maybe you will get your wish. :)

Firewalker, are you and Stephanie going to make the Mississippi State IDPA match in November? I invited Jerry to come shoot it and Deer hunt while we were talking and he said if he didn't have anything he had to do on his calender he would come.

Until then I will see some of you at the USPSA Nationals, Squad 13 :ph34r:

Sam Keen aka Hopalong

hopalong, Stephanie is going to be married sept 18th i think, Talked to her last league shoot and she hopes to be back shooting again soon.

I might make it to mississippi state. Right now im practicin ma butt off for nationals at CASA.

I wanted to shoot my 646 at nationals but gun holster is back ordered moon clips are just now ordered.... :( ......that will just be a project for this fall :P:P

sorry for the thread drift :wacko:

One Problem with the 9mm guns is they have all sorts of brass issues. Read the manual of a S&W 9mm 640 and it gives all sorts of warnings about finding brass the gun likes. Ruger SP101 in 9mm have similar issues.

That may make companies like S&W and ruger a little gunshy in making 9mm guns.

FWIW, I mailed Ruger about 45 days ago and asked if they would make a GP100 in 9mm. Got a nice reply and a catalog, but the letter said they were not planning on doing it.

I always thought a moonclip conversion being cheaper than a trigger job, would be okay for IDPA. From talking to a past BOD member, the idea behind not permitting them is it would be considered a must have modification and create an arms race among SSR shooters. I pointed out it was cheaper to upgrading to a 625 and we went back and forth on that. We have since agreed to agree on that subject.

FWIW, a comp III and a K/L frame is pretty comprable to moonclips if you practice. For IDPA where there are not as many reloads as in other sports, I believe people overlook the real reason the 625 works better for a lot of folks. The greater mass of the gun combined with bunny fart 125 PF loads makes it shoot like my K22. Do a side by side comparison of a K frame shooting 125 pf loads and a N frame shooting the same and you will experience something rather interesting.

Ted