Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"opening" up a barrel?

rupture

:surprise:

YA use a throating reamer not a chamber reamer, I use dave Manson reamers his throating reamers use pilots

and they get the throat just right usually doesnt effect the accuracy in most calibers, have to know

what ya are doing tho!! :rolleyes:

JIM/Pa

Sailors ;):D

:surprise:

YA use a throating reamer not a chamber reamer, I use dave Manson reamers his throating reamers use pilots

and they get the throat just right usually doesnt effect the accuracy in most calibers, have to know

what ya are doing tho!! :rolleyes:

JIM/Pa

Sailors ;):D

thanks, was just thinking that a chambering reamer is what turns a 9x19 barrel into a 9x21 :goof: vs. opening up the throat to accept a 9mm cartridge loaded to longer then standard OAL. next question for me would probably be asking what you want to do with it - not implying this is a bad idea, just curious.

A throat reamer or "throater" is what you need and Manson Reamers is where you should look. They work well, are easy to use and affordably priced. Dave Manson is very friendly and helpful as to the proper use of his reamers. I bought and successfully used his reamer when I wanted to use cast bullets seated longer. I did not experience any degradation of grouping. Just follow his instructions and go slow because you can't put metal back once it been removed.

• 2 weeks later...

If you move the throat forward or extend it for a longer seated bullet, then watch carefully how close the inside tab on your gun's slide lock lever comes to just in front of the ogive of the bullet. Sometimes all it takes is a slight amount of pressure and you'll have a continous random slide lock issue with your gun. I experienced this with my CZ handgun when I started using a 147gr 9mm bullet and a specific mec-gar magazine. I couldn't figure it out because there appeared to be plenty of clearance. But when I took the slide off the gun and actually started pushing bullets out of the magazine on the open frame, every other round would constantly touch the tab. I had to do some very careful filing. But then I had issues where my slide wouldn't lock back with factory magazines sometimes, so I had to buy a replacement slide lock lever. Now when I want to use my extended mec-gar magazines with my 147gr subsonic load I change out the slide lock lever, then go back when I want to use store bought ammo with my factory mags.

Remember when you modify your gun, sometimes it can affect other things you may be completely oblivious to.