Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trojan stippling?

Victor_R

I'm in the market for a 1911 9mm. The two I'm looking at are the Trojan and Springfield. I've weighed out the pro's and cons of both and I'm leaning towards the Trojan because it has the features that I'm looking for but I can't get over the stippling on the Trojan's front strap.

So my question is can it be checkered with a 20LPI? I guess I'm use to my SA Trophy Match.

If I buy the SA I have to have it checkered, undercut and add a F/O sight. If I buy the Trojan I have to have it checkered (if it can be done), F/O front sight. I'm not worried about the finish being added in the mix because I was going to do that with which ever one I bought any way.

I'm looking to buy one or the other tomorrow if the places I want to buy from are open. Thanks for any info.

I also prefer the checkering on my Les baers, and Wilsons to what the Trojan has. I just put skate tape on my Trojans.

I sold my Springfields after getting my first Trojan. Even though the Springfield would eat anything I put in it, even after having a match bushing installed, the groups at 25 yards were twice the size of my first, factory Trojan.

Probably could be done but I don't think it would look good. Frame isn't thick enough (I don't believe) to remove the stippling first and then checker.

JMO

Richard

I'm not to concerned on looks more then I am with function. It's going to be a game gun. I wonder if I could get checkering around the stippling.

Have you tried the Wilson checker insert?

On my Trojan I got to like the "chain stipple"....ymmv

Is that the deal that clamps to the grips? If so I don't want any part of that. A buddy of mine had the one I described and his came off at the match jamming his mags. Scott Springer also had one on and it stopped his slide from locking back as it moved down not letting his mags seat right if I'm not mistaken.

They say that most of the checkering done these days is machine checkering. I suppose someone who knew what they are doing could checker that type of grip. Getting someone to try it might be a problem. You would have to ask around.

FWIW

Richard

PS: I don't like the STI stippling! Doesn't seem to work like checkering does for me although I have not tried it extensively.

Edited by chirpy

Well I just made up my mind and ordered the Trojan 9mm from Brazos Customs. :) This will be my first STI.

Nice choice! Did you ask Bob about checkering? I've always thought that a steady hand could checker over the stippling on the raised part. It might not look great but like you said its a game gun.

Well I just made up my mind and ordered the Trojan 9mm from Brazos Customs. :) This will be my first STI.

Nice choice! Did you ask Bob about checkering? I've always thought that a steady hand could checker over the stippling on the raised part. It might not look great but like you said its a game gun.

No I didn't. I'm going to see how well it feels before I start calling around.

No I didn't. I'm going to see how well it feels before I start calling around.

That's probably a smart way to go...it's sort of a deceptive feeling texture, that seems more secure than it should be. R,

Victor,

I wondered the same thing when I got my Trojan, and always felt that I could get it checkered later if I didn't like the STIppling. I actually ended up putting skate tape on the front strap, and haven't looked back since.

Are you getting this 9mm for ESP Div?

Nice choice!

Victor,

I wondered the same thing when I got my Trojan, and always felt that I could get it checkered later if I didn't like the STIppling. I actually ended up putting skate tape on the front strap, and haven't looked back since.

Are you getting this 9mm for ESP Div?

Nice choice!

Thanks for the advice. Yes, I'll be using it for ESP next year.