Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magwell for SA Loaded 1911

Dacsoft

I have a Springfield Armory 9mm Loaded Target in SS that I use for IDPA. I would like to add a magwell, but want to make sure it will still fit in the IDPA box. Does anybody have this combination?

I use the Tripp 10 round magazines.

thanks

Try to get a look at a couple dif models. I personally have the Dawson and think its the best thing Ive ever bought. Havent tried a techwell and if/when i get a new SS gun, maybe ill try one for S&Gs, but for now, i love the Dawson with no gap insert.

There is a thread currently going with your answers. And, if you do the search, there are several long and very comprehensive threads with all kinds of info including pictures...

here and here are a couple to start with...

As you will see... Opinions vary... cool.gif

Edited by Merlin Orr

Thanks for the help and links. I did try a search and will do another. There are many threads on magwells, I have lots of good information about the different ones. As you mentioned there are many different ones and everybody has their own opinion. But I didn't see one that addressed my questions about the SA Loaded Target. I hate to purchase and install a magwell that is not legal in IDPA when installed on my gun. But I will do another search.

thanks

I shoot the same exact pistol you have and I also run Tripp mags.

In choosing mag. wells and other optional parts you need to be careful about weight. It is VERY easy to pass the 43 oz limit in ESP/IDPA.

I use soft rubber slab grips and the Wilson mag well that hooks over the grip bushings. It's not the largest... but it allowed me to "make weight" and with the flexible grips it works just fine.

BUT IF YOU ARE SHOOTING ESP AT THE NATIONALS.. I'D SUGGEST THE BIGGEST HEAVIEST MAG WELL YOU CAN FIND :lol:

Edited by MichiganShootist

Yes you do.

CDP was increased but ESP stayed the same.

Thread drift, so is CDP now 43oz as well?

Oh and I have the same gun:

Corey9mm005.jpg

It makes weight as well. I use light weight parts though. My .40 SS comes in a 39oz with a mag but it has less metal in the barrel due to the bigger hole.

CDP was increased to 42 and ESP is still 43 but the way the addendum reads there is now a +/- .2 for scale variance.

Anyhow, I can't remember the exact weight with the steel mainspring but for some reason I recall mine being right at 42 which is why I changed the housing. TO much on the edge for me.

There is a thread currently going with your answers. And, if you do the search, there are several long and very comprehensive threads with all kinds of info including pictures...

here and here are a couple to start with...

As you will see... Opinions vary... cool.gif

Don't forget this informative thread: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=47442&hl=techwell&st=0

CDP was increased to 42 and ESP is still 43 but the way the addendum reads there is now a +/- .2 for scale variance.

Anyhow, I can't remember the exact weight with the steel mainspring but for some reason I recall mine being right at 42 which is why I changed the housing. TO much on the edge for me.

If you want to lose some serious weight here is what I did to my guns. It was pretty much for function but it saved weight as well.

Aluminum guide rods

Plastic MSH

Lighter hammer

Lighter Trigger

Ti hammer strut and MS cap

Checkered the front strap and under cut the trigger guide, hey it removes metal

The aluminum guide rod is a biggie but the other things add up as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been looking at the Techwell Magwell and Grip systems. I am considering the XT or SP, but the TGO looks pretty nice on the pistol. Does anybody have experience with the TGO (it isn't a complete 360 degree magwell and leaves the front as stock. How does it perform for competition?

The different models can be viewed at TechwellUSA

If you want to lose some serious weight here is what I did to my guns. It was pretty much for function but it saved weight as well.

Aluminum guide rods

Plastic MSH

Lighter hammer

Lighter Trigger

How well do the plastic MSHs hold up?

Aluminum guide rods

Plastic MSH

Lighter hammer

Lighter Trigger

Where did you get the Aluminum guide rod? I don't remember seeing them. Do they provide the required strength?

I decided to go with the Techwell Magwell and Grip system. Actually decided to go with the TGO. Weighing my gun with the Tripp 10 round magazines, I am at 42.75 ounces. Seems close, so I may look at other options to reduce weight. But I should be good to go as it is.