Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

LNL AP... To case feed or not to case feed?

Hello all! This forum has been a huge resource to me and and I'd like to ask a question to those of you who have a Hornady LNL AP with the case feeder. I reload and a few hundred rounds a month in pistol calibers, and am wondering if spending 300+ on a case feeder is worth it. I'm not a professional reloader and I'm not someone who shoots 1000+ rounds a month in competition and practice. One aspect of the case feeder that appeals to me is that it eliminates one of the operations that I have to perform. Meaning I can stay focused on bullet placement and powder volume.

On a different note, I've been VERY impressed with my new LNL AP press. It took a while to remove all the manufacturing and protective oil, and to get it set up, but once I did, it's made reloading much much faster! Coming from a single stage press, it's amazing how fast things happen, and how many things happen at the same time.

I have a LnL AP, I dont have the casefeeder, but wish I had one. Heck, I'd like a Mr. Bulletfeeder also.. :roflol: I like shooting more than reloading. I dont shoot thousands per month, but I'd like to shorten the time spent reloading.

I have one and love it. I had my press up and running for a year and half before I got the case feeder and I tell people I waited two years too long to get it!

I will say this though... If you only load a couple hundred rounds a month, I'd think long and hard on the $300.00 bucks. Before I got mine I had it pretty much down to a science. My left hand knew exactly where to be and what to be doing when the right was moving the press handle up or down. As I was raising the handle the left hand was picking up a piece of brass and sliding it in then grabbing a bullet to seat as the press indexed around. As the handle started to go down that bullet was either already sitting in the case or shortly after and the left hand was going for another piece of brass.

The case feeder took my loading from right around 400 rounds an hour to over 600 without killing myself. I've loaded over 5,000 rounds this year and that's a drop in the bucket compared to what others are loading/shooting.

My suggestion would be to get registered at Midway and use your birthday or another discount code they send out sometimes to get one. While I don't think you really need it right now you may find yourself getting more serious about shooting down the road and you will really need it, you'll have it. Like everything else in the world, the price is only going to go up.

I use the case feeder and love it. I load around 30,000 a season and absolutely love it. I think it is well worth the money. My output is around 800 rounds an hour. The way I see it no more than you shoot one evening at the press and you will be ready to go for the whole season.

At 200 rounds a month it is probably not worth it. It will save you maybe 15 - 20 minutes a month.

With that said, I have had a LnL for 3 years and just added a case feeder last month. I love it and have doubled my loading speed.

If you are looking for a reason to buy a new toy then go buy it - you will love it.

If you are going to start competing or shooting more then go buy it - you will love it.

Ahh heck... Just go buy it - you will love it.

I required the casefeeder because....

1. I can do one thing at a time extremely well.

2. Two things at once not so much.

3. Three things at once and I'm a monkey playing with a football.

I couldn't imagine mine without a case feeder, but if your only shooting 300 rounds a month, I dont know. Sounds like you need to invest in some more components and start shooting 1000 a month.

I loaded without a case feeder on my LnL AP for several months, but bought one about 2 yrs ago. I like loading more with the case feeder, and would buy it again.

The other day I pulled the bullets and powder from about 20 .38 Spcl loads that had failed the case gauge, and then I resized and reloaded them, feeding the cases by hand. First time I'd done that in a while, but it went fine, though it obviously was slower than using the case feeder. If money was tight, I'd rather have components than a case feeder.

Edited by ben b.

When you get the case feeder the same stuff happens just faster and you also get to focus on the case being fed and watching for upside down cases and ones that fall over. It adds a level of complexity to the operation. It is a bit faster.

I loaded about 1500 rounds a month on the LNL with and without the case feeder. It took a while to sort the bugs out of the adjustment when I got the case feeder but after that, things did speed up.

Get the case feeder when you can't seem to find enough time to do your reloading. You will find that over time your significant other will become fustrated by the amount of time you spend with that thing, and want you to not do that as much. Then seem perfectly happy if you are just not reloading and watching a ball game on TV in another room. Go figure.