Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ernest Langdon Sig

MBaneACP

Okay, you read it here first...

I was up at SIGARMS last week filming for SHOT SHOW TV. The last thing they showed me was the Ernest Langdon Signature Model P-220. It's the stainless version (the one with the light rail), but two-tone with the slide blacked. It's got that Scott Warren-designed fixed rear sight Ernest uses, plus a fiber optic front. Action is sweet sweet sweet.

I woulda bought it on the spot, except that it was a prototype and they-- whine whine-- didn't want to let it go. I did the next best thing and placed my order immediately (price is anticipated to be in the $1100-1200 range). I've had 220s in the past, but the alloy frames always popped me a little too much recoil-wise. The weight of the stainless model should take care of that.

I think the formal product annnouncement is going to be at SHOT, so I'm only jumping the gun a little bit!

This is hands down the best-looking SIG ever made (cooler than even the 210s). Now, if they'd just bottle Langdon DNA with the gun...

Michael B

MBaneACP, what is the Warren rear sight like? How is it different?

----------

Yes you can get the custom weld-on magwell from Ernest Langdon. As far as I know he is the only one offering this particular modification.

I got a complete P220ST CDP gun built and it is nice - carry bevel, magwell, trigger job, mag release, Novak rear, narrow Dawson fiber optic front, hex head grip screws - the works. Ernest is a really straight-up guy and provides great service. Everything uses what he sells on his own guns.

If you haven't seen his gun, you can see the magwell in the pics below.

p220_rt.jpg

p220_magwell.jpg

Before anyone buys this version for IDPA competition, they better weigh the thing unless they just want to be a cheater. Seen Ernie's on a scale last weekend in Arkansas. It was without a magazine so I guess it could be legal if sig makes one half ounce magazines.

Dave

My gun as shown in the picture with an empty magazine weighs 40.8 oz on two different digital postal scales. It is really close but it is legal for CDP with its 41 oz weight limit.

I had to remove the Hogue rubber grips and go with factory plastic grips to keep it under the weight limit. I like the plastic ones better anyway so it worked out OK.

The way I read it is

Pistol including empty magazine must

1) fit in a box measuring ......

AND

2) have a maximum unloaded weight of 41 ounces

The object is "pistol including empty magazine". That is also how it was taught in my SO class.

-----------------

The funny thing is that the P226ST is a couple ounces heavier, chambered in 9mm, and there is no weight limit in SSP. With a light recoil spring and some nice 147gr/125PF 9mm loads it is very soft.

The gun Langdon used last year was under the weight limit. I can't remember the exact weight but it was under. We had a conversation about it when I was discussing my pistol. Langdon was the one who told me that I was going to have to replace the Hogue grips to make weight. Also the gun he shot last year had the old style rail which is a lighter frame than the current generation by a little bit.

Guys at that level don't need to cheat to win. Also who says a heavier gun is an advantage? That is one of the oldest arguements in the sport.

Uh oh. :o I am embarrassed and I feel like a horse's ass. No remarks about "If the shoe fits...".

I ass/u/me(d) that Dave was talking about Ernie's personal gun and I flipped out by also assuming there was an inference that things weren't on the up and up. Now, I can see where perhaps Dave was talking about the new Sig offering and simply providing a word of caution to prospective buyers. If that's the case, my sincerest apologies. When will I learn to think twice and post once? Tis better to remain silent and thought a fool than to open my mouth and prove it. :wacko:

What's this "knocked TGO off his pedistal" stuff.

I can only assume that you mean after winning an IDPA nationals, Ernst Langdon is now the greatest shooter of all time? Jeez, that was quick, and a short resume' for that title.

I mean no offense to Mr. Langdon whom I have never met; Congratulations on the IDPA CDP national championship.

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, let me come clean. I was at an IDPA match in Arkansas that Ernie also attended. After the match and while we were waiting on scores, Ernie and Company had a display up in the lobby showing his "wares". While Ernie was talking to someone else, a "friend" of mine picked up Ernies gun from the table and laid it on a postal scale they happenned to have there. My "friends" comment was that if Sig made a magazine that weighed one half ounce, the gun would be legal. For the record, what my friend done was wrong. Having said that he had no reason to lie about it.

Well, since I'm going to have one of these things in my hot little hands in a few weeks for an article, we will soon know. For the record, I've met Ernie Langdon, I know his level of integrity. I'd bet on a malfunctioning postal scale before I believed EL deliberately cheated.

Okay, let me come clean. I was at an IDPA match in Arkansas that Ernie also attended. After the match and while we were waiting on scores, Ernie and Company had a display up in the lobby showing his "wares". While Ernie was talking to someone else, a "friend" of mine picked up Ernies gun from the table and laid it on a postal scale they happenned to have there. My "friends" comment was that if Sig made a magazine that weighed one half ounce, the gun would be legal. For the record, what my friend done was wrong. Having said that he had no reason to lie about it.

Seems pretty lame to question a multi-time National Champion shooter's integrity on a public internet forum based on second hand information. What's the point?

I agree with Duane. I know Ernest and he is a stand-up guy - that is first hand information from dealing with him in person on several occasions.

If anyone wants to know ANYTHING about LTT customized Sig P220ST's, call Ernest at 703-978-1262 and get your information from the source!

I don't know that anybody (from my reading) is questioning the integrity of anyone else.

I doubt that many shooters weight their guns.

The gun will wiegh what it weights. If it is over-limit, it probably would be safe to says that it was an over-sight.

Lets not get into any accusations, or counter-accusations, on this forum!

Bruce Gray can totally trick one out also, a friend of mine has one and I shot it a couple of weeks ago and it is like shooting a full blown tricked out S_I, even the trigger, simple amazing. .28 -. 30 splits on a plates, it is a little snappy, but recovers awesome. It is heavy though, I didn't weigh it, but they are substantial.