Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

clays powder

broadus123

Depends on the gun and the OAL. You may need more than Speer says is safe. If you need to make major with 230gr, you may be better off with another powder. WST at the low end is similar to Clays in performance, but has a higher high end and easily makes major without going beyond max load.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

what about Clays with lead bullets i use 230gr bayou bullets is it ok to use ??

It'll run fine. A little smoky, but everything's a little smoky with lead or lead/moly. The only time it's been an issue for me at all is shooting into the sunset and in the Darkhouse at the SS gnats. Even then it was just noticeable enough to comment on, but not so bad as to obscure the targets or sights.

ok, so maybe some input into my clays load and chrono..i loaded 3.8 and was up around 180 pf,,i ended up at 3.4 and still at 170 pf with a 230 gr lead rn at 1.250 oal with both a 5" trojan and a Baer 5" pistola..this is at aprox sea level and 80+ degrees out..also tested with 2 diff chronos..so the magic 3.8-3.9 varies alot...I would think even in cold weather i should still make major,anyone else have any input?

I ran 4 grains of Clays behind a Zero, 230 fmj, and in the spring, with temps. about 30-40 degrees, it runs about 170pf, but, in August, when the temps are upper 80s, the pf went up to 180. :angry2:

I picked up a jug of VV310 to play with, but, haven't had time to try it yet.

ok, so maybe some input into my clays load and chrono..i loaded 3.8 and was up around 180 pf,,i ended up at 3.4 and still at 170 pf with a 230 gr lead rn at 1.250 oal with both a 5" trojan and a Baer 5" pistola..this is at aprox sea level and 80+ degrees out..also tested with 2 diff chronos..so the magic 3.8-3.9 varies alot...I would think even in cold weather i should still make major,anyone else have any input?

Altitude 1800 feet and Temp around 90*

I'm getting similar results in my Kimber Stainless 5". 3.4 with moly lead bullets (Billy Bullets) 170pf at 1.25. 3.5 Clays with Frontier CMJ 230 gives the same

In my 625 revolver, 5". 172.7 pf with 3.4 Billy Bullets 1.25.

Edited by t0066jh