Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stolen CCW Gun - Walther P99

The few gyms that I have belonged to force you to sign in (or show your membership card) before being allowed in. Is that how it is at your gym or can anyone just walk in? If the later, then your gym has a problem from a civil liability perspective, in my professional opinion.

Members have a card that is scanned, plus the staff that work the counter seem to know every member by name. The only exception is when a potential new members expresses an interest in the club, they allow them to use the facility one-time to see if they like it. The new member just signs a card with his name on it, they do't ask to hold a photo id while they work out.

That was the loop-hole, they've plugged it now.

The bit that ticks me off the most is finding out that this guy did the same thing at another gym the day before. If the cops had done their job right, they would have taken 10 minutes to notify the other clubs in the area. If they had done that then the staff at my gym would have spotted him instantly.

just a thought, but when i go into the gym, all my valuables stay in my truck. All I need in the gym is my combination lock and my clothes.

When I spoke to the detective he told me that 9/10 the safest place to leave valuables is in the locker with a padlock. It takes far less effort to break a window in a car than it does to pose as a prospective member to gain access to the locker room.

There is less risk to breaking into a car as well, as its an easier escape route.

The gym has closed the loop-hole that enabled this theft. I may get a lock-box for the car at some point as this would give me some more options. I can also get a small pack to keep with me in the gym with wallet etc.

just a thought, but when i go into the gym, all my valuables stay in my truck. All I need in the gym is my combination lock and my clothes.

When I spoke to the detective he told me that 9/10 the safest place to leave valuables is in the locker with a padlock. It takes far less effort to break a window in a car than it does to pose as a prospective member to gain access to the locker room.

There is less risk to breaking into a car as well, as its an easier escape route.

Valid point!