Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dave Lauck's Itrc

D&L Sports

The International Tactical Rifleman Championship is going to be held August 27-29, 2004 in Gillette, WY. This is a two man team match, and the three guns are pistol, carbine, and precision rifle.

I know Dave Lauck has been working lining up sponsors for a helicopter event (blasting targets from a flying helicopter!), and per the flashing banner on his web site the helicopter stage has been confirmed. The match fee is $250 per person, $500 per team.

Feel free to do a search for threads about previous ITRC matches. Bottom line: This match has the highest KAF of any match I've been to. I'd sign up early for this one guys.

• 2 weeks later...

Bret,

Shooting from a moving, specifically, flying helicopter! He is still working out how to score it. He is going to provide the bungeed in ARs for the event, and may give them away to the stage winners. Last I talked to Dave he was leaning away from including the helicopter points in with the total match points as someone would inevitably complain that their ride was bumpier than someone elses. Panzies. No matter how you slice it, the opportunity to engage in aerial gunnery at a match is a rare opportunity. Hope to see you again this year. John

I just sent my entry in.

Just when I thought it couldn't get any better, a HELICOPTER!

Folks, words cannot describe the fun to be had at this match!

Yes, it is a little physically demanding, but no worse than a day hike with two guns and a few hundred rounds of ammo. And it's in WYOMING. You don't have to worry about getting hasselled over your guns and everyone you meet is polite!

Come on! The match is only about an hour away from Devil's Tower and a couple of hours from Mt. Rushmore and Crazy Horse. Yellowstone Park is about 6 hours away. Take a week, pack yer blasters, and come see what America used to look like before the godless liberals took over most of it.

HA! You nailed me Erik, I was a marketing major in college. That was before I found out about the fun to be had as a member of the "International Society of Oilfield Trash." Big stuff, loud stuff, stuff that can remove limbs UH UH UH.

Anyways, this match is the equavalent of Disneyland with guns! (OK, there is no big mouse.) But, I've been to 3 goat ropings and 2 county fairs, and it's the most fun I've ever had anywhere.

Direct marketing mode on:

Erik, did I mention that we have first rate motocross tracks and plenty of great trail riding in the Thunder Basin National Grasslands? Prairie dog towns that stretch for miles? Population density of less than one person per sq mile? Picture yourself on a deserted mesa, eating peppered beef jerky and sipping cold water, the pungent aroma of crushed sage brush oozes from your tires.....what's that, a rattle.....? You whip out your blaster and send another dangeous viper to rattlesnake hell. Yes, life is good. It's very, very, good.

Direct marketing mode off:

Anyways, this match is the equavalent of Disneyland with guns! (OK, there is no big mouse.) But, I've been to 3 goat ropings and 2 county fairs, and it's the most fun I've ever had anywhere.

Isn't it more like hell week at USMC scout sniper school? :lol:

I have taken the helicopter carbine course B4 they closed Thunder Ranch, and Sam is correct, it is SUPER COOL. Whether they score it or not, you probably won't get this opportunity again in your lifetime unless you are active military or on some SWAT team.

Sam,

I don't feel qualified to advise you or anyone else. Only did it for a few days and that was last year.

I will tell you it is best not to fall out of the aircraft...

Harken back to the days or yore, and think of yourself as the door gunner on a

DH10 Huey, that should get you in the proper frame of mind anyway.

If the speed of the aircraft and the angle of attack is the same for each pass it isn't as tough as you might think, but if they differ with each pass, it is truly spray and pray....

Thanks, TL! A "few days" is a lot more experience than I have. "Spray and pray", ah yes, I am quite familiar with that tactic.

Maybe we can get them to play Ted Nugent really loud over our headsets, that should get the mind set! On second thought, I'd better e-mail Ted, he's gonna want to do this too.

Thunder Ranch is still open in Texas until the end of the year, isn't it?

Did Clint S. actually lose the lease on the land, or is he giving it up because he's choosing to move to Oregon for his own reasons? I've only read that he's moving because he wants to do so.

Hey JL, we are in!

Jerry Lee and I can conduct a demonstration...I am proficient from the left seat!

I've been practicing quite a bit with shoot-back pop-ups...Kyle's favorite.