Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Allatound Lens Color

STIGUY

Thinking of getting a new pair of shooting glasses and wondering what is the best overall color. The one that is the best (or atleast with the least downside) in all lighting conditions. If you had to choose just one....what would it be?

That's difficult because different manufactures offer different colors and different shooting sports do better with one color than another and geographical terrain differences can influence your choice as well..

I shoot Rudy Project glasses and my primary lens is a Photochromic Red. This works very well in my area shooting pistol because it gives very good contrast between the targets and the berms (which are mostly covered in foliage).

If you are not on a budget, Rudy Project has a set with Photochromic Red, Photochromic Clear (grey), and regular dark lenses.

If you are on a budget, ESS has a set with clear, yellow and dark. For a general guide to choosing colors, try this link. Be aware, they are a retailer for ESS so they are biased.

I'll chime in too... Rudy ImpactX Photo Reds! I use them for everything - indoor + outdoor shooting, driving, everyday sunglasses, beach... They are worth every cent. Look in the vendor tent for a discount...

I'll throw in my 2 cents also. I used an optometrist, who was the doctor for the olympic shooting sports, for quite a while and he said colors depend on a great variety of things. If you're color blind in any of the colors is the primary concern. He said it even matters if you are near or far sighted or have astigmatism. If you want the best and since you don't give a location, contact a "shooting" doctor.

Another photochromic red fan boy here as well. When I bought my Rudy Noyz glasses I picked up the photopolar grey, photopolar clear, and photochromic red lenses. I tried the red lenses first and have never needed to switch them out. I thought I might need the grey for very bright days or the clear for indoor shooting, but it has never been an issue. I do shoot with a hat on so that might make some difference why I don't need the grey lenses.

I use Rudy photochromic clear for everything. I thought about trying the red because of the popularity here, but I shoot a lot of IDPA, which has low/no light stages, and red would have too little light transmission for that. If you don't shoot in the dark, I'd give the red a try.

Oakley Persimmon.....I have tried the others and to me nothing is better. I own several pair of Rudys for daily wear but shoot in the M-Frames(5 years now).

+1 (except for the Rudy part)