Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Unequal bullet weights

Field

i've used a number of 124g 9mm round nose Rainier bullets and ive put them on a digital scale and they seem to weigh 1-1.5 grains lighter than advertised.

have you weighed any other calibers or bullet weights from this manufacturer? is this a consistent trend?

for comparison ive used Remmington 124g RN and they tend to weigh in around 124.7-125g

then MG 124g weigh in really close to 124g maybe off by a couple tenths or so.

From what I've seen, both MG and Zero tend to vary in a range of about .3gr or so...that's 115s, 121s, 125s, 147s and 180s. I don't recall the last time I weighed .45 bullets, but I'd expect them to have a similar range from either company. Precision Delta 9mm 147s and 180gr 40s had a bit larger variation, more like .6gr or so.

I won't buy or use plated bullets, so I can't help with specifics on Rainer.

Edited by G-ManBart

its always good to weigh bullets to see what they ACTUALLY weigh. my "200gr" presicion molys are actually in the neighborhood of 199-199.5. some BBIs that I tried were a lil high at 202-204ish. Ive got some rainer 200gr 45s at home, but id have to weigh them to see what they come out to. Ill check later tonight

MG 124's are very close to right on in my current batch. I had Precision moly 147's that all weighed exactly 148.3. It is important to know your actual weight since that is the number used to determine PF at major matches. Just another reason to give yourself plenty of cushion.

Just ran some bullets on the digital scale, I weighed 10 of each

Berry's 124g CMJ: 123.9 - 124.4

Berry's 115g CMJ: 114.8 - 115.4

Zero 124g FMJ: 125.1 - 125.4 with 8 of them 125.3 - 125.4

PD 147g FMJ: 146.8 - 147.6

I use a lot of Barrys and MG and they are usually about +/- .4 of the stated weight. I've had a few Barrys that were more than .5 off but that is rare.

On PBA2's post, the Zero bullets I was told (by another forum member) are actually 125 instead of 124, that's why the weights are always at 125+. It's pretty crappy that Zero didn't take the time to even put a stamp or sticker on the box to let the customer know about it. Other than that, I've always heard good things about Zero bullets.

Edited by gng4life

If using lead or moly coated check those weights. I 've had 170's come out consistently 2grs over from different batches. At least they are consistent. Its the dispersal variance in a batch that is a bad thing.