Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Member from Michigan!

nbraybrook

Hello all! New to the forums. A little bit about myself. My name is Neil. I live in west Michigan. I work a place called Borisch Manufacturing in the engineering dept. I also have my own photography business (www.njbp.net) on the side. I love shooting. I recently got my fist eaa / tanfoglio pistol, an elite match. I absolutely love it and for the price I don’t think anything comes close. I look forward to doing some things to it like the Henning trigger and some new sprints, sights ect. Look forward to getting to know you all and learning more about these great guns! :D

Hi Traveller! I have never been there yet! Ive just been wanting to get into IDPA and looking for places that do it locally. I plan to go on Saturday to watch the state nationals, Meet some shooters and get some info! Do you frequent there a lot? I think I am going to join there to, Silver Bullet is nice but just way to pricey for as much as me and the girlfriend like to shoot in the summer!

Neil

yes - I shoot at South Kent often and Greg is right on. Great IDPA and USPSA groups - well run matches and well attended. We expanded the competition bays this year and now have approx 15 bays in the new section plus the original 6 bays.

Definately stop by the state match this weekend and look around.

Thats awesome. I do plan on coming out! Does it cost anything to just come watch? Sounds like an awesome place and its not really to far from me. (I live in wyoming)

I had a question for you guys. I have a Witness Elite Match 9mm single action that I planned on using for IDPA. If I changed the trigger form a curved trigger to a flat trigger would that make it so I cant use it? I read some of the rule book and seen mods and stuff that are alowed and not. But I dont really see anything about that. Any ideas? I dont wanna rip my gun appart then find out I cant use it when I finally go haha.

Also whats the differance between IDPA and USPSA?

Just bring eye and ear protection and check in with staff they may want you to sign a standard range waiver.

ESP allows for a fair amount of customization, take a look at the rule book. it can be downloaded from the IDPA website.

IDPA

Stages are limited to 18 rounds

Shot using concealment

Rules that try to force it to be more "tactical"

USPSA

Stages are limited to 32 rounds

I shoot both they are different, one isn't really better than the other. Shoot a few matches of each and see which fits you better or keep shooting both.

Again, Greg is right on. I'd add that IDPA and USPSA are similar in that both have multiple stages you work through, each with multiple targets. IDPA tends to require the use of cover (shoot from behind or around cover) and therefore the stage is a little more spelled out for you (start here and shoot these targets, then go there and then shoot those targets, then go there and shoot those). USPSA does not require the use of cover so the stages tend to be more flexible in how you shoot them (start here then shoot them how and where you want). Usually higher round counts for USPSA.

Both are fun and it is fairly easy to do both as many of us do. Both can greatly improve you gun handling skills.

Mags: Idpa=3, Uspsa=4-5+

Glad you had fun; it was a great match (even if my shooting was not).

Now get your gear ready and show up for the next regular IDPA match on 9/12. You do not need to be a member at south Kent or IDPA to shoot the matches.