Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Accuracy of JP LRP

Nicolas.

Has anyone tested the accuracy of a JP LRP07 .308 with the 22" or 18" barrel?

What kind of results did you get ? What load did you use ?

I have an 18" JP LRP--i use it for 3 gun matches. my load is Sierra 135 gr. match kings over 44.5 grs. of IMR 4895 with winchester primers. the best 5 shot group i have shot is .314" at 100 yds using a Leupold 1.5-5X SPR scope. that load chronos 2650 fps avg. my shooting partner gets the same velocity with 45.3 grs. of Varget. i don't know what kind of groups he gets, but he shoots well with it.

:cheers:

• 2 months later...

Outside of extreme accuracy events (none of which are discussed here), barrel length typically has little to do with accuracy. 22 inchers don't shoot more accuractely than 18 inchers. You will probably get more velocity with the 22 incher which increases the outer limits at which you can shoot before the bullets goes transsonic.

18" JP LRP shooting M118LR (175 SMK) easily and consistently does less than MOA out to 600. The rifle is more accurate/consistent than the ammo... With bit of load development, either should give you plenty of practical accuracy. John Paul makes good stuff!

Longer barrels are not more accurate. Longer sight radius' are. Given two barrels of equal quality and manufacture there will be very little if any measurable difference in accuracy based on their length. Most often any increase in accuracy will be in the favor of the shorter barrel due to increased stiffness.

The two JP LRP I have shot first hand were exactly like every other JP rifle I have experienced, that is to stay astoundingly accurate.