Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Are You A Certified USPSA Range Officer?

I Joined USPSA in 1999 and became a RO because my local club wanted to host the 2000 Area 1 Championship but we were short of certified RO's. Since then I have gone on to be CRO certified and had a chance to work the 2003 Race Gun Nationals.

My shooting has completely changed, because now when I help set up a stage I can identify potential shooting problems. It was a refresher course watching the CRO's go through the stages at the Nationals moving stuff around and changing fault lines to prevent DQ traps. Every effort was made to make each stage as shootable for a D class shooter as a GM. I would like to especially thank Andy Sampson for helping me with my RO skills.

If there is another pistol championship at Bend I would volunteer to work it. Pay me enough and I'll go anywhere.

Cheap plug ahead!

Put your RO/CRO skills to good use. Come to Vermont and work the AWARE match in August. Free lodging, free food, lots of fun.

Ed (CRO :) )

Will Do! B) See you in Vermont. :)

I joined USPSA in September of 1996 and was certified as an RO by John Amidon in February of 1997. Have worked several AWARE matches as well as a couple of Area matches and I always help RO at the local matches I shoot. I love to compete but will also work the match to help out whenever needed.

• 2 months later...

<Resurrecting an old thread and then drifting it over to left field>

I'd love to become a currently certified RO (I did take a Level I class back in about '87 but such certification is a dim and distant memory) but I'm having trouble working out how!

Can anyone point me to the mechanisms whereby one can become certified, taking into account that I live in CA and haven't been able to find any trace of RO course around here in a couple of months of looking :o

Thanks,

Kevin

The problem is that all these courses are on the wrong side of that big range of mountains down the "middle" of this country.

If I had the capacity, I could try and schedule such a course on the left side but I'm too new to this to have access to the necessary facilities.

I'm hoping that some one will point out something in the right half of the country that I was too blind to see ...

Kevin

All you need is some place to meet, (big enough for 20 people, give or take) like a hotel conference room, which many hotels will provide either free or for a nominal charge if you book rooms there, and a range to do the live fire exercise on the 2d day. The cost of the course is $600, which nominally comes to $30 per head for 20 students. The host club or section is responsible for covering the instructor's room and board; USPSA pays for the airfare. It doesn't have to be a fancy hotel or gourmet restaurant, either--clean sheets and a shower and some dinner company is about all we need.

Many clubs charge $40-50 per student for the seminar and use the additional to cover the room and board.

If I can be of assistance, let me know. I know the folks in the Portland, Oregon area usually schedule a class each year.

HTH,

Troy

Flex, great idea, but don't know if we are pulling enough new shooters to support it. Seems like Rayner's is the only club pulling big numbers, and I don't know if that is just the regular crew out there, or if there are a mix of new shooters. I do know that the MRP turnout has been very disappointing this year. :( Of course, I suppose that we could pull some people from IN, KY, or PA.

We probably should at least give it a try and see what kind of response we get. I am surprised at the number of people that signed up for the Miamisburg CRO course... ;)

I have been a member of USPSA since 1987. I am RO, CRO, IROA as well. I have applied for the range master program, but they lost my paper work last year so I didn't make it. I have been Sec/tre for my local club for 4 years, MD for 4

years, Depedy Section Cord. for 4 years. My wife & I have ROed the Nationals from 92 through 2000. My wife and I enjoy IPSC and Bianchi shooting very much. I have shot a shotgun match just last month and am hooked on that now.

Gene S