Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm 124gr MG JHP with Solo 1000 Range Report

scap99

My new containers of Solo 1000 are really weak. I had to bump my load from 4.2gr using 124 MG HP, to 4.8gr. I'm at about 135 PF. It's compressed and runs soft as ever though.

Edited by boomfab

shot some of these loads at 25 and 50 yds free hand yesterday.

I've never shot at either of these ranges before, so was pretty pleased with my performance.

Here's my 50 yd target with 7 (6 on the plate and one flyer that was not included in this cropped shot) 9mm holes made by me. The .22 cal holes were already there, I just didn't bother to paste them.

post-23800-040582400 1283126453_thumb.jp

The 25 yd target had much better groupings. Moving from my standard 15 yds to 25 yds was pretty easy. 25 to 50 was a whole different animal.

I've been trying to load some "defensive" velocity practice loads with some old 125gr Zero JHPs I have around.

I loaded 4.2 gr because it was "more" than my 3.5gr load for 147gr lead... SOFT.

Then I read here... 4.5gr barely made Minor...

To get up to defensive velocities of 120fps with a 125gr bullet... I don't think solo will get there!!!

No pressure signs as high as 4.8gr.

M&P9 COMPACT 3" barrel at 90 degrees in FL.

Jeff

• 2 months later...

Wow; you folks are needing 4.8gr of Solo 1000 to make Minor with 124gr bullets!! That seems like a lot of powder considering that I only need 3.6gr of this powder to make 132PF with 147gr FMJ bullets. How come the 124's require so much more powder?

Wow; you folks are needing 4.8gr of Solo 1000 to make Minor with 124gr bullets!! That seems like a lot of powder considering that I only need 3.6gr of this powder to make 132PF with 147gr FMJ bullets. How come the 124's require so much more powder?

Pressure = force / area

147s take up a lot more "area," especially when loaded short. I'm not sure I'd cram 4.8 into a 9mm case, though.

I hope my new jug of Solo isn't that slow. 4.6 made major in .40 with a 180 with my old jug...out of a 5".

Pressure = force / area

147s take up a lot more "area," especially when loaded short. I'm not sure I'd cram 4.8 into a 9mm case, though.

I hope my new jug of Solo isn't that slow. 4.6 made major in .40 with a 180 with my old jug...out of a 5".

That's my experience too. I had to use 4.5gr of S1000 behind a 185gr Precision Moly bullet to get to 171PF (OAL 1.185"). I will start at 3.8gr for my 124gr Precision Delta JHP and load from there. I hope I don't have to go as high as 4.8gr; that's a lot of powder in that little case.

One thing missing, the lot number of your jug of Solo 1000.

The 1,379.8 variance of your 4.8 gr load looks a bit high.

The lot number is 1877 and all rounds were shot through a CZ SP-01.

You are right about the variance. I am trying to figure out if I have a problem with my formula but I haven't been able to find it yet. There was one shot there that messed everything up (1,054 FPS) but I am certain that I wrote it down correctly. I don't know what may have caused this either but I am sure that this is the reason for this extreme figure in the variance.

If I discount that number I have an ES of 18.00; and SD of 7.59 and a variance of 57.6 for an average PF of 140.8

Good thing the chrono saved this particular string... It turns out that I was wrong after all (my wife would say: "what a surprise" :rolleyes: ). That figure that I was so adamant that I had it right turned out to be 1,154 after all.

I have edited my previous post with a new table that reflects this change. Sorry for the confusion!

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...