Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A Nikon 1 to 4 by 20 scope for 3 gun

Chills1994

So I was at Borders bookstore yesterday flipping through the latest issue of Shotgun News when I saw a full page ad for Nikon riflescopes.

Here is the scope that caught my eye:

http://www.nikonhunting.com/riflescopes-m-223-m-223_1-4x20.html#1

Unfortunately, it is not an illuminated retice, and it is also NOT a BDC reticle, either. :-(

What say you?

Edited by Chills1994

anyone?

anyone?

Bueller?

Bueller?

doing a little poking around on their website there is a video of guys shooting their three different M-223 scopes with the 3 different reticles. it was kinda neat...steel plates at various yardages...and a guy holding a timer ....kinda competition style.

anyone?

anyone?

Bueller?

Bueller?

doing a little poking around on their website there is a video of guys shooting their three different M-223 scopes with the 3 different reticles. it was kinda neat...steel plates at various yardages...and a guy holding a timer ....kinda competition style.

Chills, I am looking at one of them too. Be nice if we could get it with the BDC instead of the Nikorplex for a reticle. Still looks good as a budget/entry level optic.

Chills, I spent many hours looking for a decent budget 1x4, especially the Nikon series. The one you linked to comes with the BDC or the 3moa dot, and you mentioned you were not interested in the BDC which is fine. The 3 moa dot is a bit to big on long shots and I still don't get the actual usefulness of the pre-calibrated knobs. Holdovers and holdunders still have to be learned.

That scope is the same, exact scope as the Nikon 1x4 African Hunter with different knobs and a different reticule. The African Hunter is the scope I bought because it has the German #4 reticule which is uncluttered and works great close up or far away. The knobs are easy to adjust and are protected by caps similar to the Trijicon TR24.

Set it up with a 300 yard zero and your holdunders and holdovers will be within 6" from 100 to 350 yards.

Hope this helps.

is it a true 1X

Yes, it is a true 1x with very clear glass. It is a 1" tube but the field of view is very good. It is after all designed to be used hunting dangerous game with big recoil guns so I would think it is robust. The 1/2 moa adjustment clicks are spot on.

For a 1x4 under $300 it's worth the money.

thanks for all the "gouge" on it. I was wondering too if it was a true ...one power scope.

I didn't exactly say that I didn't like the BDC reticle....buuuttt....thinking about it now....where I am at near St. Louis, 3 gun/multigun hasn't exactly caught on....it's not all the rage....plus we don't have the ranges like you out west guys do...I think to make a BDC reticle all that helpful.

in fact...a BDX reticle like that might be more of a hinderance trying to get your handloaded ammo to jive up with it. like the one guy said...go with a 300 zero and you will know ballistically you're within 6 inches.

Mickster how long have you been running these, any good/bad points

I've had it on for about 4 weeks now. Probably about 300 rounds worth. The only downside I have come across is if the sun is very bright and in exactly in the proper position (shining into the scope I think) the crosshairs turn from black to dark brown. I don't know why. I don't know if this is common with all scopes. I don't know what causes this phenomenon. You can still see the reticule just fine though.

A big plus is you can shoot to get your zero at whatever distance you want, then re-set the knobs to "0", and dial up or down in relation to that zero from then on and know exactly how many increments you'll need for the shot using a ballistic table for dope.

The scope isn't going to replace the TR24 on my main game gun, but at $250 it's a good optic for someone just getting into 3-gun or not ready to commit to the high dollar stuff, or keep on a backup/practice gun. And it is certainly a good hunting scope.

heh heh...i kind of like taticool knobs.

i see the scope uses 1 inch rings with a 20mm objective lens. is there any big advantages/disadvantages in comparison to another 1-4x scope that uses 30mm rings with a slightly bigger objective lens?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the help this scope just moved to the top of my list (unless I win the lottery)

What Ryan said! I think this thing is starting to look like my next optic purchase! True 1X. Basically built for heavy hitting rifles & dangerous game! NOBODY seems to have a thing bad to say about it!

Thanks for all the information, folks.

Old SF MJT

I handled one of the m-223 1-4x and wasn't really impressed. The dot appears to be too big. I am not sure of the size but appears to be about 4 moa. I think that might get in the way on the longer shots. I would also like to hear what someone who has used the scope thinks. The Nikon website seems to be marketing it as 200 yard scope.

I stumbled across some other Nikon scopes today at a gunshow. I guess they are part of their " Harrier " line. the vendor at the show had a 1.5 to something??? power scope of the Nikon Harrier line. plus like maybe a few others like 3 to 9, 4 to whatever....etc. they were all wearing that third hump near the occular lens so that got my attention.

sure enough it features a lit reticle. it is switchable from red to green in color and it has 5 intensity settings for each color. just indoors at the show it looked really bright.

my google fu must be weak because I typed in " nikon + harrier" at first in google and got nothing. then I tried "nikon + harrier + riflescope" and that took me to the nikonhunting.com website. I poked around some more there and nothing.

so either those scopes were a couple of years old and are now discontinued by Nikon or they are so new Nikon hasn't updated its website.

the 1.5 to whatever scope I was fondling was priced right around $250 or so.

the reticle was just a simple plus sign... +

with maybe some gaps around it and then some more lines extending both vertically and horizontally from the center +

I did try doing a search here on the forums for " harrier" and got back 4 hits ....none of which had anything to do with Nikon riflescopes.

maybe ya'll's search fu is better???