Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fitting an SVI trigger bow to a Trojan

BayouSlide

Looking to change out the STI 1911 trigger bow to an SVI 1911 trigger bow in my Trojan so I can use the flat SVI trigger insert.

The trigger in my stock Trojan is pretty decent, and I'm a detail-oriented shadetree gun mechanic, though most of my experience up to now has been on Glocks.

For those with experience with this job, how straightforward is it to match the new SVI trigger bow to the previously fit STI bow? Not scared to tackle it, unless there are some specific issues I'm unaware of.

Through search, I've read that SVI has changed their trigger bows to a larger size to fit their new frames, but I'm assuming that's the 2011 trigger bow and I see a separate part for the 1911s.

Appreciate the help and guidance.

:cheers:

Curtis

I changed mine out and had no problems. That was the first time Ive had the gun stripped completely bare also. Did have a lot of taking apart, putting together to check the fit and pretravel. Im pretty satisfied with the results.

A past issue (last months or the one before) of Front Sight magazine has a good article from Bob L. of Brazo's Custom Guns detailing a do it yourself trigger job. You may want to read it. :cheers:

Thanks for the reminder...it's in the March/April 2010 issue for whomever is interested.

Curtis

The bow slides in and out of the trigger track on a 1911 without problem. The trigger pad, however, on premium triggers must be fitted to the opening. There is additional metal on the top and bottom of the trigger pad. It requires even filing until it slides through the opening in the frame. It's not hard as the trigger pad is aluminum, but it can be a little time consuming. 1911 frames internally tend to all be milspec, so aftermarket parts are not a problem.

Thanks, guys, for all the info. Parts ordered. Shouldn't be anything beyond my abilities. I had ordered the plain aluminum pad/insert (unpainted) just for the reason Steve mentioned.

Curtis

I've never had that problem with a new premium trigger, but Brownells does sell a die for that purpose http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=3074/sku/Single_Stack_Trigger_Stirrup_Die I've installed a dozen King, Grieder, Wilson, and Les Baer triggers and never needed one. The bows/stirrups are steel and don't bend easily and are sized correctly when new.

Just to update: took a stab and fitted one successfully, but it certainly wasn't a drop-in. Took much sanding and buffing on the top and bottom and a fair bit (plus some filing) in places towards the back of the base on the sides for it to slide smoothly without any binding in my Trojan.

Thanks for all the advice.

Curtis

Edited to add: BTW, I seemed to have guessed right. The long flat work insert works perfectly for me in a 1911. I had a medium flat on my Edge.

Edited by BayouSlide

Glad to hear it.

I took a stab at installing a gunsmith blank on my Pro SX as the installed trigger was way to short. Long story short...I sent the gun back to Bob to be set up right. I am no gunsmith...he has nothing to worry about. :rolleyes:

Bigpops, I hear ya on trigger slop.

I wanted to change the Trojan trigger to something longer and I seemed to prefer a flat insert. But I was also hoping to remove some of the slop in the fit of the STI plastic trigger. Being the sort of guy who obsesses over small details, I felt the SVI base would provide a fit with less up and down and side to side movement. Due to the shape of the beginning of the upper trigger channel in my Trojan, I had to remove a fair amount of material from the SVI for clearance to insert into the channel. And by the time it was fitted and moving freely, it had a small amount of movement up and down—much more than I hoped for. Did I mention I was the sort of guy who obsesses over small details. :wacko:

Now that Bobby at Freedom Gunworks has finished Spanky's gun ( http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=111591 ) :cheers:, work on my Edge is scheduled for next week. Then Bobby will get the Trojan for trigger work. I'm going to ask him to check my fitment and if it can be improved, start over with a new SVI base. And did I mention I was the sort of guy who obsesses over small details. :lol:

Since Bobby, unlike me, actually knows what he's doing, I'll bet he wouldn't be afraid to take a file to the frame to match it better to the SVI trigger base. Me, as Clint Eastwood so wryly noted in The Unforgiven, well "A man's gotta know his limitations."

Curtis

Edited: 'cause I hate tipos typos!

Edited by BayouSlide

Bigpops, I hear ya on trigger slop.

I wanted to change the Trojan trigger to something longer and I seemed to prefer a flat insert. But I was also hoping to remove some of the slop in the fit of the STI plastic trigger. Being the sort of guy who obsesses over small details, I felt the SVI base would provide a fit with less up and down and side to side movement. Due to the shape of the beginning of the upper trigger channel in my Trojan, I had to remove a fair amount of material from the SVI for clearance to insert into the channel. And by the time it was fitted and moving freely, it had a small amount of movement up and down—much more than I hoped for. Did I mention I was the sort of guy who obsesses over small details. :wacko:

Now that Bobby at Freedom Gunworks has finished Spanky's gun ( http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=111591 ) :cheers:, work on my Edge is scheduled for next week. Then Bobby will get the Trojan for trigger work. I'm going to ask him to check my fitment and if it can be improved, start over with a new SVI base. And did I mention I was the sort of guy who obsesses over small details. :lol:

Since Bobby, unlike me, actually knows what he's doing, I'll bet he wouldn't be afraid to take a file to the frame to match it better to the SVI trigger base. Me, as Clint Eastwood so wryly noted in The Unforgiven, well "A man's gotta know his limitations."

Curtis

Edited: 'cause I hate tipos typos!

Amen! :roflol:

Lets put it this way...when Bob called to let me know the gun was being shipped back to me I asked him to grade my work. He sort of chuckled...I got the hint! I'll stick to airplanes! :cheers:

Lets put it this way...when Bob called to let me know the gun was being shipped back to me I asked him to grade my work. He sort of chuckled...I got the hint! I'll stick to airplanes! :cheers:

I used to roadrace motorcycles and, as I told Bobby, there are parts changers and then there are mechanics...and I'm a decent parts changer. Just keep me away from files and Dremel tools. :devil:

Curtis