Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 lowers...

stinsonbeach

First let me say I'm sure this is covered somewhere else, but I'm going to "Watch" so I get eMail updates immediately. I'm a lazy ass.

I do not like my STI plastic grip. I love the gun, but hate the plastic. I've heard all kinds of stories about how difficult it is to fit the lower to an aluminum grip. What I need is someone who's done it...actually done it themselves. I have a Dawson-tuned .40 2xStack. Sweet gun. I don't want to screw it up w/ the infamous "Dremel Gunsmith School of Hard-Knocks", so if you have "hands on" experience, I'd appreciate your insights...& please, give me the horror stories too!

Thank you,

-jb

Edited by stinsonbeach

Not sure what you are asking but to replace one grip with another of the same type takes a couple of raps with a plastic hammer and 2 little allen wrenches. 5 minutes tops.

yeah, in a perfect world - but what I'm getting from my friends (some of which are pretty good smiths) it's a nightmare. The aluminum grip doesn't flex like the plastic one so the lower doesn't simply slide onto / into the aluminum grip - it has to be fitted & therein lies the "nightmare."

-jb

If you want to make your current grip feel nicer, take a look at this:

http://www.brianenos...ndpost&p=784502

Thanks - but no it's not about the look...or feel...or anything I can nail down.

Couldn't ask for a better hitter.

I just don't like the plastic grip on the STI - & therefore don't like the gun.

You're a shooter, so you know how irrational we all can be!!!

-jb

It's worth the switch in my oppinion. I fit mine, 3 hours with a dial caliper and two files. If you want to try it, I'm sure you can find somebody (see earlier link) that can do it for you.

I like to do that "stuff" myself & the thread simply started out to find out what others already knew.

Your "...caliper & two files..." is right up my alley.

Couple of questions:

1) on the whole was it a bitch?

2) did you do it at one sitting?

3) would you do it again?

4) finished product worth it & what you expected?

-jb

I used a Barrel locking lug file and a 6" pillar file (it's fine cut). The locking lug file is very usefull since it is a small square file with two safe sides. I could get into the areas I need to quite easily. The pillar file is my favorite file. It's wide enough to give me a nice flat cut. I used it to lower the shelf (area directly above trigger guard). I didn't stop fitting it until the grip slid on the frame and the bushing holes lined up without force. The "ears" (area near top grip bushing hole) must NOT flex outward when sliding it on the frame.

I did it in one sitting. Oh, also used a blue sharpie. That way I could track where I needed to remove metal. Initially my grip wouldn't even start on the frame.

I would definitely do it again.

I used a Barrel locking lug file and a 6" pillar file (it's fine cut). The locking lug file is very usefull since it is a small square file with two safe sides. I could get into the areas I need to quite easily. The pillar file is my favorite file. It's wide enough to give me a nice flat cut. I used it to lower the shelf (area directly above trigger guard). I didn't stop fitting it until the grip slid on the frame and the bushing holes lined up without force. The "ears" (area near top grip bushing hole) must NOT flex outward when sliding it on the frame.

I did it in one sitting. Oh, also used a blue sharpie. That way I could track where I needed to remove metal. Initially my grip wouldn't even start on the frame.

I would definitely do it again.

Thanks for the info. It gives me encouragement as I'd like to try it, but the horror stories were too much.

I'll let you know IF I decide to do it & I'll tell you how it comes out.

Thanks again,

-jb

Hello: Go for it :cheers: Take your time and go slow. If you get frustrated come back another day and start again. It should not be that hard to do. I want to get one and try it as well. I like the feel of the small grip even though I have large hands. Those that I have talked to really like the grip after they fitted it. Good luck. Thanks, Eric

Hello: Go for it :cheers: Take your time and go slow. If you get frustrated come back another day and start again. It should not be that hard to do. I want to get one and try it as well. I like the feel of the small grip even though I have large hands. Those that I have talked to really like the grip after they fitted it. Good luck. Thanks, Eric

Hey Eric, let me know if you "go for it".

My best shooting partner tells me to do it too.

I figure "what the hell" - if I screw it up it's only about $250 & I've got more than that invested in holsters I'll never even see again!!!

I think I'll do it - & if I do I'll write a chronicle of it here.

-jb

Thanks to "aircooled6racer", "want2race" & especially "rolex" I just ordered an STI 2011 aluminum grip.

I will chrono it here...I promise you it'll be a good laugh if nothing else!

Stay tuned as I should get it x middle of next week.

Hey, "want2race" where did you get those files? ...& what exactly should I ask for?

I want to stay as far away from my Dremel as I can!!!

-jb

Brownells. Barrel locking lug file. There is only one type. Get a plastic handle for it too.

#2 Pillar file. I use my dremel to smooth out the safe edge.

Lug file (not cheap) 080-751-000

May be able to use something else but it's aggressive enough and the teeth are cut right up to the tip for tight work. Great for thinning the lug area of the grip. The square shape and opposing safe sides are important.

#2 Pillar, 6" 191-399-110