Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Front Strap Checkering

blue edge

Anyone do it?

yes

if so how did you do it?

not very well :devil:

seriously, intention is not to discourage you (or anyone else) from working on developing new skills, but in my limited experience hand-checkering a front-strap is a very labor-intensive, time consuming piece of work where you can (somewhat irrevocably) screw things up with the slightest drift in concentration. not much of a trade-off using a mill - less requirement for freehand surgical precision, but you'll need a dividing head or a krebs type jig which are not inexpensive, and there's considerable effort (and skill) involved in setting the frame up properly.

If you are going to give it a go, my suggestion is put in plenty of practice on bar-stock before you start on an actual frame...

I gave it a shot a few times and decided that it was much less expensive (when you looked at time invested) to just go to a professional and pay them to do it. Also (for me) better to buy guaranteed quality vs. the crap shoot that I was looking at whenever I took a file into my own hands. I have used EGW for front-strap checkering and have always been very satisfied with their work, but there are also many other pistolsmiths on this board who are very highly regarded and will likely be able to take care of your needs.

my $.02, best o' luck

-jaredr

I have checkered a few and I had a guide to use. First one I tried was an aluminum frame and I would

not do another one of those. Too easy to mess up because the alum is such a soft material. I would

do more if I had the time and the equipment.

Johnny

I did one, will never do another one again.

mine turned out ok, but for all the effort, stress(is it straight-is it straight-can I fix it?)and sore back, elbows, fingers.

I would send it off the a smith to machine checker

I've done a handful of them.

It's a lot of work. Sore elbows.

I made a simple jig from a piece of angle iron.

Once you start, the lines you cut become the guides for the next lines to be cut.

..so make SURE you have them vertical and horizontal

STI046.jpg

1911pistols040.jpg

I thought about it but for $110.0 plus the shipping costs I figured I'd let the pro's machine cut mine. I have to wait a couple of months but when I use it I won't be reminded of the poor job I did when I show it off!!!!

I thought about it but for $110.0 plus the shipping costs I figured I'd let the pro's machine cut mine. I have to wait a couple of months but when I use it I won't be reminded of the poor job I did when I show it off!!!!

this.

Who does it for $110? Great price. I've done quite a few by hand. I use a Jig from Brownells, a 20LPI file, a 60* needle file and patience. Also have to make sure the front strap is straight and true first, otherwise you'll be chasing it around trying to get points on every pyramid. Of course, I crop the tips off when I'm done. Super pointy 20lpi checkering is only good for magazine articles.

Most people say to cut the verticals first, I don't. I like to do the shorter cross cuts first, then the long verticals after.

Spent several years developing the skills, did a bunch of checkering, made some money.

But in the end I figured out its not worth the pain, time and trouble so I went to machine cut.

Dont get me wrong hand cut checkering is a work of art.

If you want to do it yourself dont start on your pistol start on barstock, do another then another then start on your pistol.

Good lick, keep your files clean and padded.