Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brass Preference for Moon Clips

PBRsc

I'm kinda new to this forum and so this topic may have been kicked around before but I've been shooting with this die-hard wheel-gunner who swears Remington brass works the best in his moon-clips. Now, aside from measuring all of my moonclip openings and finding the brass that has the standard deviation of the average what's happening out there in the real world. We all have brass preferences: plinkin' brass, practice brass and then the good stuff, but do other comp shooters sort their brass for their moonclips?? (Sorry to be trite but it's raining and I can't go to the range. :wacko: )

Edited by PBRsc

What sort of moonclips do you use? What are they set up for? It makes a difference.

If you don't know the maker for your moons just try different brass until you find the best fit.

And just to add on Viggen's post..What caliber are we talking about? Most 45 acp's don't care..But then I don't shoot the 45 much. later dd

What sort of moonclips do you use? What are they set up for? It makes a difference.

If you don't know the maker for your moons just try different brass until you find the best fit.

And just to add on Viggen's post..What caliber are we talking about? Most 45 acp's don't care..But then I don't shoot the 45 much. later dd

I'm talking about a 625-8 using Smith moonclips.

Hi:

I just finished making some of these measurements.

I have 38 special brass from Winchester (WW) and Remington (R&P)

I have an 8 shot 627 from S&W that's just been Carmonized.

I have purchased some moon clips 0.025" thick.

I have made some moon clips in 0.020' and 0.023" thick.

I've measured head spacing on all positions with and with out the different moon clips. Not very exciting.

I also measured the groove dimension on the WW and R&P brass using feeler gauges. And this was difficult to measure in that I'm not too confident in my readings.

Grove Dim R&P 0.030" WW 0.022" to 0.023" This is the dimension that basically tells you if a certain thickness moon clip would work.

From my readings and confirmed by trying my WW brass was not at all happy with any of my moon clip thicknesses. Once inserted the brass did not want to rotate freely.

The R&P brass was OK in all of my clips. The decision here is how sloppy do you want the 8 rounds. Once in the moon clip just how much freedom do you want to have. I think it's personal preference at this point.

Also R&P in 357 worked well in this gun with the thicker clips in previous years. But it's not part of this measurement routine.

I've made the new moon clips out of stainless. If anyone is interested PM me.

Hope this helps.

George

For a 625 it doesn't matter. I use whatever brass I can get with whatever moon

clips I have when I bought them years ago. The 45 is very forgiving when it comes

to brass and clips. Some guys use the expensive HearthCo clips for 45 in big

matches, but I have never seen the advantage in 45. Now 38 brass and moon clips

are a different story. HearthCo clips are the only weay to go in that platform.

Tom

I use Ranch Products moonclips in all my revolvers. In 38/357 I find that Starline provides the sloppiest fit, R-P,& Federal intermediate and Winchester the tightest fit.

I find this to be true in .40 and 10mm. Starline the loosest, followed by RP and Federal and Winchester the tightest. S&B is even tighter and when I see it, I set it aside for classifier clips. I use cheap Scherer clips - they look just like ranch clips.

Lee

For a 625 it doesn't matter. I use whatever brass I can get with whatever moon

clips I have when I bought them years ago. The 45 is very forgiving when it comes

to brass and clips. Some guys use the expensive HearthCo clips for 45 in big

matches, but I have never seen the advantage in 45. Now 38 brass and moon clips

are a different story. HearthCo clips are the only weay to go in that platform.

Tom

Exactly right, on all counts.

Actually there is a difference, but it may have been a bad produciton run so who knows.

I've found that the SBC stuff isn't real good, but the worst was a batch of Federal Top Brass. I actually ruined 2 moon clips trying to get 6 of those things in. They had a thicker web and after 3 were in the clips it got progressively harder to insert the rounds.

As long as you don't use all of that Top Brass stuff a few won't hurt.

Many years ago RP brass would actually stretch and not retain case tension as well as WW in a .45, In a Super it was reversed.

I have a tendency to use all RP brass in the .45 now, cause I got a good buy on a couple of m's, for matches just so the velocity is more consistent. It's all pretty close in use too.

Mixed stuff will have a tendency to give wider velocity swings, so just don't try to cut it too close to the PF.