Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Affordable Barrel in 16-18", mid-light weight, with ML or RLGS?

I'm shopping around for a barrel:

- mid to light weight profile (~.75" under the HG)

- 16-18"

- threaded

- Rifle Length gas system

- 1x9 or faster twist

Don't have a preference for material. Looking for $230-$240 max. Cheaper would be better.

Went to the DPMS and Bushmaster website. They don't have the above.

I know I can get a barrel and have it cut, threaded and profiled. But after I pay a smith to do it the cost starts to approach a $350 JP barrel.

Any leads?

Thanks.

Nordic Comp. has has a nicely priced 16":

Wilson-Nordic AR Rifle Barrel, Stainless 16"

Here is a link to the White Oak Arms barrels Sean is referring to:

WOA 16"

You can get the 18" with a mid or rifle length gas system - WOA 18"

I have the 18" WOA barrel with the rifle length gas. Still breaking it in, but I really like the weight. I really prefer the recoil impulse of the rifle gas vs. the mid gas.

Edited by moose76

White oak barrels are excellent barrels, I use one and it shoots dimes. Anyways, the guys at WOA will make any custom profile for 20-30 bucks, so if you want something special they will do it at a very reasonable price. You will be very happy with the quality.

DPMS also makes an 18 barrel that's not on their website, you have to call them. It costs about the same as the WOA, but has a pretty long lead time for production.

Nordic Comp. has has a nicely priced 16":

Wilson-Nordic AR Rifle Barrel, Stainless 16"

I just put a new upper together with one of the Nordic MLGS barrel. I'm quite pleased with it thus far. It does not have M4 feed ramps so be aware of what type of upper you drop it in...though I don't know that a non-ramped barrel in a ramped upper is anything to sweat about (a ramped barrel in a non-ramped upper is a probable no-go).

I just put a new upper together with one of the Nordic MLGS barrel. I'm quite pleased with it thus far. It does not have M4 feed ramps so be aware of what type of upper you drop it in...though I don't know that a non-ramped barrel in a ramped upper is anything to sweat about (a ramped barrel in a non-ramped upper is a probable no-go).

It's the other way around. A ramped upper and non-ramped barrel will create a pocket and the bullet tip will catch the outside of the barrel extension.

:sight:

I was thinking of replacing my 16" with an 18" or 20" for more stability on lonnger shots. Is the 20" necessary....shorter is better for versatility as with will also be used in the field and carried in vehicle....etc.

I was thinking of replacing my 16" with an 18" or 20" for more stability on lonnger shots. Is the 20" necessary....shorter is better for versatility as with will also be used in the field and carried in vehicle....etc.

Much discussed topic in the past, here's the most recent thread

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=110447