Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do you start a match

RickyH

2 times I have tanked the first stage bad. at level 3 matches.

convinced my self no awards for me today. I will just shoot for fun.

at the end of the day im winning my class and section champ.

shooting with no self imposed pressure or expectations is a great tool.

now only to get there without having to tank a stage.

John

When I first started out in open, I would think about going slow and steady....shoot a good first stage to start the match.

As I have learned more about the mental game, I have come to the same point, though not in skill :D, as BE....10% mental slow down. For me, viewing the first stage mentally as if it was the last stage of the match keeps my head in the right place to just shoot it smooth and as fast as the sights allow.

When I hear a new or inexperienced shooter say "Oh, I never have a good first stage", I will take the time, if they are receptive, to discuss the mental game and coach them on how I handle it.

At a match do you start slow on the first stage or wide open? I think I do better if I sart 3/4 speed on the first stage. Is this just in my mind?

The way I start is by showing up about 3 hours early and setting up the stages. I'd really like to be 'the man', but I'd really prefer to be one of the workhorses who enables the match to actually happen.

If you can't show up and set up...at least once during a season...I could give a rat's ass who the hell you are.

Edited by Bongo Boy

• 2 months later...

How I prep for a match.

I try to start 3 days prior to the match.

1. no changes to the weapon are allowed till after the match.

2. Go to the range and practice at least once within the 3 day period before the match.

3. The day before the match is equipment and ammo check before loading the range bag.

4. Check the next days weather. Too many times I've been caught without a jacket or gloves. It's nice on my side of the mountain but when I get to the other side it can be down right cold.

5. Music. I listen to classical music on the way to the range and prior to the match in an effort to lower the heart rate and relax.

6. I get to the club early enough to have breakfast at the club on the day of the match. Need a good breakfast if I expect to do well.

7. Stay hydrated.

8. Finally I take 3 deep breaths with eyes closed before replying with shooter is ready.

9. Granny gets down to business.

Edited by West Texas Granny

• 3 weeks later...

I listen to Classical music, Native American or Shakuhachi flute music the evening before and on the way to the range. I am visualizing the entire match (even if I do not know what the course of fire is) I see myself going through the R.O. commands of loading and "shooter ready?". I see my perfect draw and my first front sight picture on the center A zone . I feel the trigger squeeze.

The other thng that I do is if there is a warm up range, I shoot one magazine of ammo ...just to foul the barrel out so every shot after is consistent and it gets me over the match jitters because i already have felt my gun's recoil.

Nothing left to do now but wait for the beep adn perform my perfect draw with a crisp front sight picture on the A Zone and squeeze the trigger. everything else in the match (running, reload, barricades,etc., is just a set up for the same thing...solid stance, crisp sight picture on the A zone smooth trigger squeeze.

GONZO!!!

I get up two hours early, drive the to the range, meet a dozen other hardy souls, spend two to three hours building the match, doing sign ups and getting everybody ready to go, then I gear up, get to my squad to find them already through the first stage, hop onto the current squad, shoot stage one, then run off to catch up with my squad, get ready to shoot after an abbreviated walk-through, get called off to handle a problem, get back, shoot that stage, then move on to the next essentially the same there, then when the match is 'Over' the same dozen tear it down, and off we go to eat,then I get home and tally the scores and post them.

And I wouldn't trade it! We have great matches and I perform generally well.

Larger matches, I do try to be more in tune, but seriously, too much prep time seems to hurt me more than it helps. Practical Pressure, That's the ticket. Enough pressure that you only have your ingrained skills to go on, no damaging extraneous thoughts from having time to think.

• 4 weeks later...

depends on mentality, Can you bomb a stage and not lert it affect the rest of your day ? I have bombed satges let it really get to me and probably hurt the rest of the match only to find out at the end of the day only to find out when the scores coem out everyone bombed it and I didnt do so bad after all.

I admit I have a problem with this. If I bomb a stage I get so mad it'll ruin the next stage too. I don't know how to let the previous stage go. I'm like the QB who throws a pick and then tosses two more right afterward because I can't erase it.

depends on mentality, Can you bomb a stage and not lert it affect the rest of your day ? I have bombed satges let it really get to me and probably hurt the rest of the match only to find out at the end of the day only to find out when the scores coem out everyone bombed it and I didnt do so bad after all.

I admit I have a problem with this. If I bomb a stage I get so mad it'll ruin the next stage too. I don't know how to let the previous stage go. I'm like the QB who throws a pick and then tosses two more right afterward because I can't erase it.

Regardless of the subject, one of the hardest things for people to learn to do and then actually do, is to let go!

One of the reasons for that is that during our "formative years," we are never taught the huge mental benefit that comes from letting go. So by the time we are adults, letting go is just not in our repertoire.

We can improve our ability to let go of "big things" by practicing letting of "little things."

Make it a general rule to always know what you are thinking about. When you notice a thought or a thought pattern is creating a negative disturbance, tell yourself to let go of it. Pay even closer attention to your mind right as you tell yourself to let go, and you'll notice, that for a brief moment, there is a state of calm peace - when for that brief moment the disturbance you were creating is truly not there. Keep your attention on sharp lookout for the disturbance causing thought pattern - because it won't be long until it comes right back. Repeat the drill: Notice, and let go! Over and over. Occurring simultaneously with letting go is the state of freedom.

Train in letting go, at first, with little things. Like say you notice a thought about something you will have to do later that day that you don't want to do. Logically reducing the power of a worry thought weakens its power. Upon your "first noticing" of a worry thought, say something to yourself like, "There's no point in thinking about something I will do later, now. When I do it, I'll just pay close attention to what I am doing - so there won't be any problem at all." Then each time you notice the same worry thought pattern, tell yourself to let go - and you already know why.

Letting go of "bigger" thought trains is harder only because the emotional force of our increased attachment to that particular topic is stronger. But the management technique never varies - Notice, let go! Over and over.

be

dravz, on 25 April 2011 - 10:57 AM, said:

Joe4d, on 05 August 2010 - 08:07 AM, said:

Regardless of the subject, one of the hardest things for people to learn to do and then actually do, is to let go!

One of the reasons for that is that during our "formative years," we are never taught the huge mental benefit that comes from letting go. So by the time we are adults, letting go is just not in our repertoire.

We can improve our ability to let go of "big things" by practicing letting of "little things."

Make it a general rule to always know what you are thinking about. When you notice a thought or a thought pattern is creating a negative disturbance, tell yourself to let go of it. Pay even closer attention to your mind right as you tell yourself to let go, and you'll notice, that for a brief moment, there is a state of calm peace - when for that brief moment the disturbance you were creating is truly not there. Keep your attention on sharp lookout for the disturbance causing thought pattern - because it won't be long until it comes right back. Repeat the drill: Notice, and let go! Over and over. Occurring simultaneously with letting go is the state of freedom.

Train in letting go, at first, with little things. Like say you notice a thought about something you will have to do later that day that you don't want to do. Logically reducing the power of a worry thought weakens its power. Upon your "first noticing" of a worry thought, say something to yourself like, "There's no point in thinking about something I will do later, now. When I do it, I'll just pay close attention to what I am doing - so there won't be any problem at all." Then each time you notice the same worry thought pattern, tell yourself to let go - and you already know why.

Letting go of "bigger" thought trains is harder only because the emotional force of our increased attachment to that particular topic is stronger. But the management technique never varies - Notice, let go! Over and over.

be

Well put, sir.