Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Load data needed for 95gr bullet

RocketCity1911

• 1 month later...

Below are my chrono results using 95gr JHP and 115gr FMJ Montana Gold bullets with Hodgdon Clays (gun is an STI Steelmaster shooting 9mm):

95gr

Powder Charge (grains) Avg Velocity (fps) Power Factor

3.8 1121.1 106.5

4.0 1210.0 114.95

4.3 1289.5 122.5

115gr

Powder Charge (grains) Avg Velocity (fps) Power Factor

3.8 1071.5 123.2

4.0 1079.0 124.2

4.3 1124.5 129.3

For steel challenge, the power factor is recommended to be 120 minimum. Comparing the 95gr to 115gr, I would say that the 95 feels noticably softer and I can reacquire the sight picture faster. The 95's are a little louder than the 115's, but not as much as major power factor loads would be. I saw no signs of over pressure with any of these loads. I have normally shot the 3.8 gr with 115gr FMJ as my steel load, but I'm switching to the 4.3 gr with 95gr JHP. NOTE: The 3.8gr with 95gr JHP had trouble cycling in my STI Steelmaster. All other loads cycled fine.

Here is some video of me shooting the 95gr over 4.3gr Clays:

Edited by RocketCity1911

...(need 120pf minimum).

I am not 100% certain about this but I was under the impression that you didn't have meet a particular PF for Steel Challenge. I thought that you only had to meet a minimum velocity of 750 FPS (regardless of bullet weight).

SCSA rules state:

"Note: Impact-rigged stop plates will respond to 120 power factor ammunition as per

“scoring” above. Lighter ammunition may not stop the timer."

If your ammo won't trigger the stop plate, then your time is adjusted to correct for sound-to-impact, which is based on 800 fps bullet speed. That will increase your total stage time by anywhere from .16 to .48 seconds depending on the stage. Other than that, I guess you could go to a low power factor or 750 fps as long as it will still cycle your gun, but if you are shooting with a compensator then you probably aren't working the comp to your benefit. I shoot a gun with a comp and want higer velocity to make the comp work better, but softer felt recoil. The 95gr bullets do that better for me than anything else I've tried. The power factor isn't critical for most steel matches, since few I've been to are actually using impact-rigged stop plates.

What kind of accuracy do you get with the 95gr bullets? I'd like to try a lighter load, but I want at least 1" group at 25yds. I get .75" group with my 124JHP's.

My gun is sighted in at 18 yards and I have a 12moa C-more red dot. At that range, my shots are staying within the dot -- I'd say 2". But that is not from a bench, just standing free-style.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I'll have a look but I doubt I have the data left. I was playing with a load almost 20 years ago for Bianchi using 90 and 95gr bullets in a 9X21 loaded to 9mm length. As I recall I was almost at my major load, 8.8-9gr at the time, with 3N37. the bullets were cooking out pretty fast as I was trying to cut the lead down on the mover, they were like laser beams, I think over 1400fps and very accurate. Out of an open gun they were very, very flat and soft shooting, though loud.

DO NOT LOAD TO THIS DATA!! thats the closest I can recall but you'll need about 1400 (90 gr) and 1300+ to make power factor safely (I like to have a cushion)

I will try to find the actual load data and see what those loads were.

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, finally got all my components together, loaded a few rounds at 4.0gr of Clays to go test. Rocket City (or anyone else), are you loading these to 1.020" like all the data I can find lists? I set this up, and it just looks crazy short. Thanks.

Also, my Sierra manual lists max load for Clays at 4.8 gr.... anyone ever try more than the 4.3gr discussed here?

DanO

Okay, finally got all my components together, loaded a few rounds at 4.0gr of Clays to go test. Rocket City (or anyone else), are you loading these to 1.020" like all the data I can find lists? I set this up, and it just looks crazy short. Thanks.

Also, my Sierra manual lists max load for Clays at 4.8 gr.... anyone ever try more than the 4.3gr discussed here?

DanO

Assume you are using a 95 gr bullet. The OAL will be shorter than what you might be use to. I'll have to measure mine and report back, but I'm thinking it was more like 1.10". I set up the seat die a couple of years ago and have never changed it. Also, I have not tried more than 4.3 gr of Clays. Some say it pressure spikes, so you may want to be careful going to 4.8 or greater. Starting at 4.0 gr is a good idea. The trick is to find a load that will cycle in your gun, felt recoil about like a .22, and enough velocity/gas to work the comp (minimize muzzle flip).

rocketcity1911 clays produces enough gas to work the comp? what velocities are you pushing the 95? how much clays? been trying to find a mousefart load that will actually make some gas. clay's would of never crossed my mind..

Clays is fast burning. With 4.3 gr, I was getting around 1289 fps. More velocity = more gas for the comp. Going to a lighter bullet and lighter load reduces felt recoil, but not necessarily enough velocity to work the comp to reduce muzzle flip. My experiments showed that a faster burning powder produced better results for a minor power factor steel load with 95 gr bullets. For the major power factor case, a slower burning powder is better for achieving required velocity and maintain reasonable felt recoil.

I already started a thread on this, but I never got any worthwhile responses. looking for Autocomp, HS-6, 3N38, N320 loads.. thanks!

9 mm

95 gr. Montana Gold JHP

1.060 OAL

7.5 hs-6

1280 +/- 5" barrel

Comp works great with this load

Edited by tad

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got some 4.1gr Clays loads out to the chrono. They clocked around 1230-1250, so 4.3gr should be right around 1290 like RocketCity is getting. They functioned flawlessly, and recoil was very light... just a tiny push with practically no muzzle lift. Spent brass showed no sort of pressure signs, and were in a nice little pile just a few feet to the right. So far so good, I think this is going to work very well.