Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Prize Distribution

TheOtherErik

Had an idea that I was kicking around and wanted to see what the rest of you thought.

Say we have a 7 stage match with aprox. 150 shooters. Instead of distributing prizes by order of finish, we award prizes by 1st-3rd in class, in each division, per stage. There would have to be a certain number of shooters in each class to go all the way out to 3rd place,5-10-15. Larger prizes would go for the stages with more avalible match points. This give multiple opritunitys to win something and doesn't only award overall performance. Granted, it is possible for one shooter to win all the stages in his class. However, it allso gives a person who might not win overall more of a chance to get something.

Erik,

I wanna cry. Here's the gospel according to Darth:

1. No prize tables. Ever.

2. No cash awards. Ever.

3. If possible, get sponsors to give cash (not merchandise) to help defray the cost of the match, and then lower the match entry fees so that everybody wins (and more people can afford to participate).

4. If sponsors insist on giving merchandise, have a sale or an auction for competitors during the match (or sell the goods to a local dealer before the match), then use the money as stated in (3) above.

5. Award trophies commensurate with the size of the match to a maximum of 1-2-3 overall for each Division with at least 20 competitors.

6. Award medals or ribbons commensurate with the size of the match to only the winner of each Category and/or Class with at least 10 competitors.

7. No stage winner awards unless it's the World Shoot - if you can beat Eric, Todd or Robbie on even 1 of 36 stages (it happens), then you deserve a little medal or ribbon.

8. Unless you make the awards difficult to win, they have no value.

So sayeth the Lord Vader <click><wheeze> :ph34r:

PS: Consider awarding a useful memento instead of actual trophies. Maybe an engraved tankard, match knife, paper weight, plate, ashtray, flashlight, bag tag, belt buckle or keychain etc. These are far better than having a room or wall full of fake gold trophies collecting dust.

At first I read "paper weight, plate" as "paper plate" and thought old Darth was going Cheapo on us. I can see it now: Cheap paper plate inscribed in crayon "Furst Plac Limated" by a well meaning younster.

I agree. I don't mind random draw prize tables though.

At first I read "paper weight, plate" as "paper plate" and thought old Darth was going Cheapo on us. I can see it now: Cheap paper plate inscribed in crayon "Furst Plac Limated" by a well meaning younster.

I was thinking the same thing. As soon as I read your post I burst into laughter.

I like the stage win bonuses at the Steel Challenge. I think they should do that at USPSA nationals. (Didn't they, once?) It might make some people try the hero-or-zero approach and shake things up a bit.

Locally, though, pretty much anybody capable of winning a stage is capable of winning a match. Even crash-and-burn Sabu. The stage win incentive would have to be worthy to risk the match win.

I bet you would have the same guys winning a ton of prizes and the lower guys getting jack. Say I get top 3 in 5 stages (which I did and the SV open) then I would get 5 prizes, not that fair I think. I say lower the match fees, people will buy the stuff they want anyway.

. The stage win incentive would have to be worthy to risk the match win.

Would it be even more interesting if say only 3 of the 7 were prize stages? More than likely you would go all out and risk throwing the match.

L2S this is a charity match, majority of the prizes will be dontated. Prizes is usualy what draws more people out to shoot the match.

Our match sponsor wants to award by performance somehow, not necessarly order of finish.

It would be totally awesome if USPSA would have a stage like El Prez at the next nationals and have a big stage award for the winner. Low round count so the big dogs can eat a miss or two without tanking the match, and little movement to lessen the difference from the big dogs and us yippy ankle-biter dogs.

Our match sponsor wants to award by performance somehow, not necessarly order of finish.

Hmmm, isn't overall finish the ONLY way to award by performance then? The top finishers performed the best at the match. There is NO "fair" way to handicap people, those who are better finish higher, those who are worse finish lower, that's just the way it is.

Hmmm, isn't overall finish the ONLY way to award by performance then?

Performance is still rewarded if you award by class place, its just not form the top down.

Ok.... I've got stuff to give away. I dont want to give it away randomly and I dont want to give it away by order of finish. I still want to reward top shooters yet still let the lower class winners to get something. I want to hear some creative suggestions.

I have never shot a Glock match (I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express once though) but I understand they have some creative methods for giving away prizes.

I copied this from Sportshooter.com:

Glock has truly done an excellent job of catering to both new and experienced shooters. The stages are simple but challenging and the prizes flow freely. The results of the match are split into multiple classes so that the top third finishers are A class, middle third are B class and the bottom third are C class. The winner of EACH of these classes is awarded a brand new Glock and the next 9 finishers are awarded cash. At a typical match one person who finishes around 130th place wins 1st in C class and gets a new gun! Those shooting in the five additional categories are not left out either: the top finisher gets a new gun and 2nd and 3rd place win cash. As if that is not enough, cash prizes are also given out the highest female finisher, highest junior male, highest junior female, highest senior and highest challenger. If my math is correct Glock will be awarding $2,175 and 8 new Glocks at each match this year!!

The GSSF prize structure is essentially random. Well, they award the top few finishers then remaining awards are random.

Sounds like that solves neither of TheOtherErik's problems, but might make for a useful compromise.

Ok.... I've got stuff to give away. I dont want to give it away randomly and I dont want to give it away by order of finish. I still want to reward top shooters yet still let the lower class winners to get something. I want to hear some creative suggestions.