Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The D In Dvc

bmadsen

I know that lots of members here are MD's or at least are very active in stage design so I'll throw this out,,,

D takes time...

Personaly I think the funnest stages are the long field courses with hoser thru tight shots included. But those stages take alot of time to shoot and even longer to reset/score/paste. Locally if our matches take more than about 2 and a half hours the natives start getting restless. Which means tear-down help is gone!!! Once I was going to have pistol shooters do a run on a 3 gun stage. An open array at probably 40 or so yards. One of the other ( much more experienced) MD types pointed it out to me that most of the shooters are going to zero those targets. That means they are basically thrown out of the overall rating. Why take the time to shoot/score/paste them? I agreed and took the targets out of the COF.

D is cool but match duration has to be considered also.

About the Blake hosing stage,,,

Considering how few people can actually shoot that stage the way he did, how can we say that hoser stages are boring? Hoser stages test way more than super accuracy stages in my oppinion. Footwork---indexing versus actually calling the shot---blaster/ammo reliability---concentration at break neck speed---control of adrenalin, just to name the ones I can think of. When I watched that stage shot by Kevin vs Blake I easily saw that I was much closer to the transition/split cadence of Kevin. What a motivator to try and work towards something close to the Blake speed. Remember he was THREE POINTS DOWN on that stage!!! Call that spray and pray!!!

Long shots/ cover shots/ no-shoots are all part of the fun and skill of the game, but if I'm driving hours to play I wanna have the chance to go fast!!! (Or at least watch someone shoot fast and wish I could do that...lol )

My .02

Guess I'm more of a C personality type...LOL

Long shots/ cover shots/ no-shoots are all part of the fun and skill of the game, but if I'm driving hours to play I wanna have the chance to go fast!!! (Or at least watch someone shoot fast and wish I could do that...lol )

AGREED!! 3quartertime, You took the thoughts out of my mind, and the words right out of my mouth. :D

I agree

Too many follow the dogma 'We need accuracy"

Balance is the key. A big match without its fair share of hose-em stages is not a fair challenge and is as bad as a match with all open targets at 6 yards.

But .13 breaks with 3 points down is a skill that needs to be cultivated, as well as 6 50 yard A zone shots in 2 sec. I respect both skills.

A while ago (and I've posted this before), we had a club near here that had a reputation for "hard" matches-- as in tight, long shots, precision set-ups, lots of HC and No-shoots etc. Shooter attendance among the lower-classed shooters was declining because it "wasn't fun".

Then some of the MD's went to a couple big matches and discovered it doesn't take a raft of 20 or 30 yard head-shots to separate the shooters. Closer and/or more open targets do just as well-- the best shooters will shoot them quicker with more points, and the less-good shooters will at least get a positive score for the stage, which at the local level encourages them to return.

Keep it challenging and make sure there's value in accurate shooting, but keep the fun. There's a reason the shooters at your match aren't at a bullseye match.

Guest Larry Cazes

Very well said Guys.......I for one shoot IPSC because it is fun. When it is no longer fun, I will find something else to spend my time and hard earned money on.

At the 2003 Factory Gun Nationals, Jerry Barnhart told me, "It's difficult to design a match that's fair for everyone. If you make it to challenge the top shooters, it's too hard for everyone else. If you back off on the difficulty level, so it's still a challenge but not too hard, we'll just shoot it faster. So we're still being tested."

• 3 weeks later...

At this years Florida Open the high Limited hit factors were, 6.68-9.10-6.45-5.48-5.42-8.03-7.92-7.93-6.97-7.28.

This is at a match with not one no shoot, just some interesting target placement, hard cover and lots of movement.

The D was there for all to find? or not ;)