Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Possible Course Of Fire?

Scenerio:

Before the shooter starts, he chooses a card from 4 different suits without looking. The RO then places the chosen card on a hidden target.

The shooter then start the COF. When the hidden target is exposed, the chosen card is also shown. the shooter then engages the rest of the course. At the end of the course, the shooter is required to shoot one of the 4 plates with a different suit based on the chosen card.

Is this type of course allowed in IPSC??

If you could make sure that each shooter has the same target presentation, and that someone who draws a specific card isn't unduly advantaged or disadvantaged, I think it would be a good stage. Another twist on the same thing I've thought about is rolling a die before your run, with one of three designs on each face of the die; you shoot the targets displaying the design you rolled, with hits on anything else being "no-shoots".

If you could make sure that each shooter has the same target presentation, and that someone who draws a specific card isn't unduly advantaged or disadvantaged, I think it would be a good stage. Another twist on the same thing I've thought about is rolling a die before your run, with one of three designs on each face of the die; you shoot the targets displaying the design you rolled, with hits on anything else being "no-shoots".

yes, the target presentation would be the same for all shooters, except for the last part of the 4 plates. the scoring plate would contain the design of the card chosen, with the other 3 as non scoring plates.....

but after reading the link, i realise the stage do not follpw the IPSC rules

Yeah.. I agree with L2S. People tend to design these sorts of stages to "make people think on their feet". (much of the time that means "I hope the shooters better than me will screw up"). Anyway, from a practical standpoint it's pretty hard to avoid people gaming these stages too. If you've only got a few cards, it won't be long until somebody figures out which is which from the smudges on the backs. Also sometimes it's worth it to just blow off the cards and shoot everythng or nothing, putting a round or two downrange to avoid FTEs as needed.

The only thing like this I've shot used 3 colors of poker chips. Grabbed a chip from a can after the start signal; the color indicating either the shoot or no-shoot color ( I can't remember).

From this single experience it would seem that "tricky" stages rely on tricks rather than good stage design. I found the stage irritating.

One big problem with designating targets as "no shoots" dependent on a "color of a chip" or the "design on the face of a die" is that it is totally against the current rules in a sanctioned USPSA or IPSC match! See rule 4.1.4 in the 14th Edition red book. "Paper scoring targets and metal targets used as penalty targets MUST be clearly marked OR of a solid color different from scoring targets". :wacko:

• 4 weeks later...

Well just to kind of expand on this, and please remember that I am fairly new to the shooting world, would be something like this.......

Roll the dice with the 3 different sides 3 times. The order that the faces came up in is the order the shooter has to shoot the COF. Have the plates mixed like

A B C B C A B A C

Or something to that effect.

Just a thought. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Happy Shooting

:D :D :D :D

Paul

Stage 1 from my club Level III match near Milan (Italy) on april 2/4.

1-4-4.jpg

Complete match brochure here.

Titan,

I don't follow you: the penalty PP in the above stage will be of a solid color (defined by dice) different from scoring targets.

What's illegal about this?