Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Virginia shooter new to forum

xmikegx30

Hello everyone, My name is Mike and I live in Va about an hour from DC. Last year I decided that I wanted to get into IPSC, so for the past year I have been training. I have bought Matt Burkett's videos and am a big fan of Enos and Burkett. I qualified expert with a handgun in the Army and feel that I am a good shooter. But, the sad thing is I have not had the confidence to go and shoot the first match. Well, I look forward to talking with people and learning new things on this site.

Thank you,

Mike G.

Edited by xmikegx30

Welcome to the forums! And, get off your backside recruit, and find a match! You'll be amazed how how much fun it is, and, I will tell you from first hand experience, if you miss EVERY SINGLE SHOT, no one will make fun of you...They might laugh, but won't make fun of you, and more than likely, will help you to become a better shooter...

Hey Mike, Welcome to brianenos.com! :cheers: Just shoot a match already! Dude, there are new shooters at every match so don't feel special.

P.S. I qualified Expert with pistols in the Army for over twenty years. I don't want to say something like, "trust me that don't mean squat". But I will say it don't mean much when your first buzzer goes off! :cheers::roflol:

Have fun and be careful. This is Army pistol qualification to the 10th power!

Welcome, I just got home from our local Wed night fun match and had a 10 year old compete with a Glock 19. The stage was a minimum of 42 rounds and the little man took 94 shots, but did not quit and had fun. Now you should be feeling pretty ashamed of yourself, so man up and get to a match. There are alot of great shooters in your area and you are more than welcome to drive on down to NC and shoot with us anytime.

Mike,

I'm new too. Picked up a pistol for the first time 18 months ago (and I'm, um, over 50.) Al I can say is jump in. I couldn't stop my hands from shaking the first couple of times out. This year I've shot 4-5 local IDPA matches, 1 USPSA match, and a few "generic" steel matches. I'm having a blast. You will too. As they say, "just do it." There are new shooters at every event.

Hey Mike,

welcome to the forums. Sounds like it is time to make the next step to competitor. This Sunday North Mountain (NMPS)is holding a match. You can sign up here Northmountain Registration. NMPS is located west of Strasburg in lebanon church. While this might seem like a drive for you NMPS is a hidden jewel of match, fairly laid back and not too intimidating for new shooters. I will be out there shooting in the morning squads so come on out and shoot an excellent match.

Drop me a pm if you need any more information.

Alan

By far the largest match in the Area is Fredericksburg. We typically get between 100 - 120 shooters and shoot the first Sunday of every month. The next match will be August 1st.

New shooters are absolutely encouraged. Even though we typically see 2-3 GMs, a stack of Ms and As, the match is for everyone. Read the rule book, take your time shooting and be safe. We'd love to have you.

Seth

Fredericksburg Practical Shooters

MD

Fredericksburg is where I shot my first USPSA match, just this month. Seth and the folks there are super friendly. (I think Alan gave me some advice too.) I got a D classification so I still have a long way to go, but looking forward to the next time. My goal is to shoot enough this summer to feel confident enough next summer to participate in the Area 8 and VA-MD Section matches. Between now and then, lots of dry fire and focused live fire practice, and local matches when scheduling allows. If I could find (and afford) some tutoring, that might be good too. The only caveat I have is this. Once you start, you will be hooked!

Fredericksburg is where I shot my first USPSA match, just this month. Seth and the folks there are super friendly. (I think Alan gave me some advice too.) I got a D classification so I still have a long way to go, but looking forward to the next time. My goal is to shoot enough this summer to feel confident enough next summer to participate in the Area 8 and VA-MD Section matches. Between now and then, lots of dry fire and focused live fire practice, and local matches when scheduling allows. If I could find (and afford) some tutoring, that might be good too. The only caveat I have is this. Once you start, you will be hooked!

You dont need to be a seasoned veteran to shoot an area match or sectional. My first USPSA match was the Florida State Championship. My second was the South Carolina Sectional. The nice thing about this sport is the majority of helpful people. Like Seth stated, be safe while going through a course of fire. Most importantly take your time and enjoy. Good times ahead for you, good times. H!

Hello everyone, my name is swag and I live in Virginia about an hour from DC. Last year, I decided I wanted to get into IPSC, then for the last year I was training. Matt Burkett bought the videos and I am a big fan of Enos and Burkett. I qualified expert with a gun in the army and the feeling that I am a good shooter.

Hello everyone, my name is swag and I live in Virginia about an hour from DC. Last year, I decided I wanted to get into IPSC, then for the last year I was training. Matt Burkett bought the videos and I am a big fan of Enos and Burkett. I qualified expert with a gun in the army and the feeling that I am a good shooter.

Where in VA are you located. We have some great USPSA matches in the VA/MD Area that we can point you too.

Alan

Where in VA are you located. We have some great USPSA matches in the VA/MD Area that we can point you too.

Alan

I am starting to get back into IDPA in NOVA.

• 2 weeks later...

You dont need to be a seasoned veteran to shoot an area match or sectional.

Hope you're right! :-) I sent in my application for Area 8 this weekend. Looked at the stages online and said, yep, I might be in over my head, but it'll be fun!. (Assuming the slots aren't full. It took me a long time to "man up." )