Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Has anybody had problems loading a Remington?

RH45

I have an older, Remington Competitionmaster, with an EZ loader that has been trimmed down, similar to JPs shotguns that I've been using when I'm not shooting open class.

At the FN match in MO, I was running a stage and when I was trying to load shells in it,all of a sudden it acted like the brass, on the shells was too big (running new AAs)and I really had to push to get them in. Bennie Hill was there, and I asked him if he had any ideas, and he said the only thing that he could think of was that the bolt wasn't all the way forward.

That night, at the motel room, I took it apart, but, didn't see anything wrong with it. The next day, I got permission to test run it, and sometimes the shells would load o.k. and sometimes I really had to push to get them in. A fellow shooter offered to let me use his 11-87, and I had the same issues with his gun. My thought was it HAD to be the ammo, but, it seems to measure o.k.

The fellow that loaned me the 11-87 called me the other day and said he found that with his gun, the little tab on the top of the shell lifter was bent a little, and not going up in to the bolt all the time. I checked mine, and it seems to line up fine all the time. I thought about taking a Dremel to open it up a little, where the shell enters the mag tube, but, something must be going on that I'm not seeing because I never had this issue before.

The carrier may be bent a little

Its real hard to tell what the issue is without seeing it

Beware with the dremil...the opening to the mag tube has features that control the rim of the shells

I have seen a number of 1100s ruined by people trying to radius the entry to the mag tube

Jim

Beware with the dremil...the opening to the mag tube has features that control the rim of the shells

I have seen a number of 1100s ruined by people trying to radius the entry to the mag tube

Jim

Jim,

Thanks for the reply!

Do you think it's possible that the carrier might be bent, kind of in the middle, at where the EZ loader ends?

Yes, that is exactly why I didn't Dremel it.

Jim

Jim,

Thanks for the reply!

Do you think it's possible that the carrier might be bent, kind of in the middle, at where the EZ loader ends?

Yes, that is exactly why I didn't Dremel it.

The weakest point is where the ezloader pin goes through the carrier

You can call me if you like maybe I can help

Jim

PS

Are you aware that you have to have the hammer cocked to load?

If the hammer is down, the interceptor latch will not let a shell go all the way into the mag tube

Jim

LOL yes, I found out a long time ago (at a macth of course) that the hammer has to be cocked.

It seems to me that if it's not cocked, it's imposible to get a shell in the tube.

I would suggest if you had the exact same issue with another gun using the same ammo, the problem must be the ammo. Did the 11-87 run on your buddy's ammo? Are they reloaded shells, and how are you sizing them?

:cheers: Had the same problem with mine. Order a new shell interupter and spring from rem. It will fix the problem the spring gets week and you might even have one of the original parts installed they didn't always work well. Cheap and easy fix take about 15 min and all you need is some snap ring pliers. Hope this helps.

I would suggest if you had the exact same issue with another gun using the same ammo, the problem must be the ammo. Did the 11-87 run on your buddy's ammo? Are they reloaded shells, and how are you sizing them?

I was using new AAs in both guns at the match. That was why I assumed it had to be the ammo, until he called me and said he found that the tab, on the carrier, that goes up, in to the bolt was bent on his gun.

Along with AAs, I've tried STS and federals in my gun, and they were all acting up.

I pushed the carrier, up tight to the bolt and smacked the bottom of it with a brass punch a couple of times, and it SEEMS to have taken care of my issue. I pushed 50 or so shells through it without any problems, but, if it's going to screw up again, I'm sure it will be at a match!!

You can bet it will be at a match! Last fall I had a broken shell latch in my 1100 (I found out at a match, of course) which I replaced last winter. It seemed to function fine the few rounds I shot it this spring, then I went to Ironman. First stage it started popping rounds out of the mag tube after I had loaded them, resulting in a round sitting on top of the carrier with bolt closed on a loaded chamber. The only way to clear the gun so I could load shells was to fire it, then it would do it again! Talk about frustrating! I then switched to my 11-87 which worked well for the rest of the match (or at least it did until the gas ports got clogged up with lead from shooting slugs, but that's another story!). I haven't been able to get the gun to repeat that since I got home. I did a couple of things to the shell latch because it seemed that the latch was just barely catching the edge of the rims. What may have happened was that in the excitement of the match I just wasn't fully inserting the shells. Guess I won't know till the next match!