Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hi-caps In Wa State?

Are hi-caps (> 10 round capacity) mags okay in the state of Washington? I may be moving there soon from Virginia and don't want to have to get rid of my hi-caps. Oh yeah, and I DO want to load and shoot them with more than 10 rounds in them! Thanks.

Washington doesn’t allow full auto at ALL? :( Bummer. We’ve got a HUGE nest of buzz gunners around here (Oregon), maybe they all immigrated here, from there.

Ottoban 100,

Welcome to the great Northwest! If you move to Westside I hope you don’t mind getting wet.

Ed

Some of their carry laws are "odd" but other than that it isn't too bad.

Just out of curiosity, what do you mean by "odd?" I ask because I've heard it said, "Washington's concealed carry law was based on the model Florida legislation," and that's absolutely not true. Washington state has had a "shall issue" concealed carry law since 1965. Check out the RCW (Revised Code of Washington) and this place looks like a gun carrier's wet dream. According to the RCW, if you are denied a concealed carry permit, and you take the issuing agency to court and prove they had no just cause to deny your application, not only do they have to issue your permit, they have to pay your court costs. Any business that forbids concealed carry on their premises - which is their right, after all it's their property - must have a system in place for permit holders to securely store their guns while they're in the business. And so on. If that's what you mean by "odd," I'll take it! :D

Not saying I don't like the WA carry laws...not that way at all. Just saying some of them strike me as odd.

Here's one...The prohibition against carry at "outdoor music festivals" strikes me as odd. There are lots of little bits and pieces in there that look like reactions to some specific problem and now it is RCW (Revised Code of Washington). When a set of laws falls down into little bits and pieces it gets very difficult to keep track of and thus easier to run afoul of. The only people that like this are the lawyers.

Delegation of carry laws to each college/university via their own WAC (Washington Academic Code) is also odd. I would much rather there was ONE definition applied across the board that was in agreement with state law. The WACs are a real chore to run through. But I won't get started on that. Universities are also apparently exempt from the "post and provide safe storage" rule. The campus I am most familiar with is not posted and the only secure storage I am aware of is not available 24x7.

And, maybe they modeled it after the FL law but they forgot the reciprocity part. ;)

But I am happy WA has concealed carry and overall I am happy with the law.

The only really weird thing about WA CCW laws is the nice, little old lady working the counter at the police station who makes sure that everything is in order for you when you pick up your permit and makes sure that you know you should go right out an laminate it right away.

The inconsistency of college/university carry is a real PITA with all the vagarities and overlapping jurisdictions, but I'll take that nuisance over all the "no guns" signs posted at what seems to be every damned business in Kentucky.

Since the WA law was passed in 1965 and the Florida Law in 1988, that strikes me as just a bit unlikely.

Good Point! Now I just need to recall who told me that it was modeled after the FL law so I can bean them. ;)

The oddest thing about WA carry though is the bizzaro permit. Why can't they do a permit like ID, FL and so many other do? Or at least make it a size so when you fold it, and fold it in half not the current unequal portions, that it can be laminated and carried in a credit card slot in the wallet.

For a state that issues one of the more hi-tech driver's licenses (the new ones, not the old ones) their CPL is just archaic.

I seem to be in the unique position of having had both Washington and Florida permits.

The Washington permit is much less hassle and a true shall issue permit unlike Florida that requires a lame class you must pay a third party for. However this is why the Florida permit has better reciprocity.

I believe the Washington outdoor festival part is due to the liquer permit process, and the college bit they pulled off due to federal support of the school just like the post office.

Washington residents do not let Gary Loche mess with your permit process, its the best in the country, and all he wants to do is screw it up.

Thankfully, Mr. Locke's days in office are numbered.

And no, I don't want them to have an excuse to "fix" the system.

I was told (old wives tale?) that the "Outdoor Music Festival" thing was tied to one specific event in the 1970s involving biker gangs. Who knows.