Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting Box

EEH

May not be where I should be but here goes--

Question--when you have a box to start in,shoot steel from box,then all paper from behind foul line,you shoot steel then put one Foot OUTSIDE BOX ONE FOOT STILL IN BOX,IS THIS LEGAL TO BE CONSIDERED OUTSIDE OF SHOOTING BOX--BOTH FEET ON THE GROUND --??

Yup. A box is just a collection of fault lines arranged in a square. Touching the ground

outside the lines is outside the box. You don't have to have the whole foot out, just a

toe does it.

I'm assuming USPSA rules? The rules forum would be a better choice.

Without seeing the COF or reading the WSB I would say yes it is legal. There is no "foul" line in USPSA though, it's called a fault line. :) I presume you are talking about a level one match as those are the only ones that can compel a shooting position.

Depending how the WSB was written you may have been in error. Since you can look at both areas as "boxes" you were not "in" other shooting area if you had a foot outside that area. It doesn't have to be a box. What this amounts to is shooting with one foot still outside the shooting area. It all depends on how the WSB was written and what the COF looked like.

JT

Edited by JThompson

I will try to explain--COF--this was set up in the conner of a berm,so we had a fault line to the right and one to the left stand in box A- start in box A-TO SHOOT 8" STEEL PLATE--THEN ELEVEN TARGETS SOME HIDDEN BY NO SHOOTS AND BARRELS shoot as you see them all you had to do was get in box --B-- before you shoot the last steel,,steel was set at a safe distance from the boxes,..this was just a local match--USPSA rules-thanks Eddie

Touching the ground outside the lines is outside the box. You don't have to have the whole foot out, just a toe does it.

The rulebook agrees with you. Consider this.

If the shooter took any shots that were required from Box A (only) with even a single toe of their shoe touching outside of the box - - fingers for penalties would be popping up everywhere. From the RO, the scorekeeper, the gallery, the nice lady selling ice water over at the pavillion, etc. That's a basic rule rule and penalties would apply simply because the shooter was out of the box.

So with that in mind.....if any shots NOT required from Box A were fired with just that same toe of the same shoe touching outside of the box, that's still out of the box, right? It was in that last example. Nothing has changed -- out is still out. If you're allowed by the WSB to be out of a particular box when engaging certain targets, and do so, I don't see how you could be penalized for it.

I'd have to say no penalties would apply because the shooter was out of the box. Just like in the first example.

Then there's also the funny little bit that you have to make sure that you have to touch the ground outside the box/shooting area, before being considered outside the box/shooting area. If you were standing in box A, and jumped/hopped out of the box and took some shots while in the air, the shots would have been considered as being in the box. You may get style points, but also penalty points if the WSB was written that the other targets much be engaged outside of box A.

As stated it's "out" of the box. It always helps though to have an RO that knows the rules. We had a stage once where you finished in a box and were required to shoot 4 targets from that box and several more targets outside that box. It was easier for me to enter the box, shoot the required targets, put a foot outside and shoot the others. I was the only one who did it that way, but the RO knew exactly what I did and that it was legal.

As stated it's "out" of the box. It always helps though to have an RO that knows the rules. We had a stage once where you finished in a box and were required to shoot 4 targets from that box and several more targets outside that box. It was easier for me to enter the box, shoot the required targets, put a foot outside and shoot the others. I was the only one who did it that way, but the RO knew exactly what I did and that it was legal.

That's what I was going to do and the RO-who said he just took his re-cert-test,said that was not legal,,

You could shoot the paper anywhere. In the box, out of the box, it didn't matter. The only requirements were that you had to be in the box to shoot the steel.

Here's video of another shooter in the stage in question.