Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Beavertail fitting with CNC

I'm not an experienced gunsmith, but have dabbled quite a bit with my own 1911s. I have an old 1984 Springfield GI model 1911, and after shooting guns with the high-ride grip safety, the standard grip just doesn't make it.

I have a Bridgeport size CNC mill, and it appears I can fit an Ed Brown memory groove grip safety by just centering on the pin hole and cutting a 0.250" radius arc for about 180 degrees? Maybe a .250 endmill turning 2500, cutting .020 depth at a time?

Is it this simple or am I missing something?

You can cut the depth in one pass, leave .005 for a finish cut. I use a 3/8 endmill, the length of cut will take the entire .750 depth. A standard 1/4" end mill will have a shorter length of cut. If it's a high speed end mill 2500 rpm is too fast for chrome moly steel.

The S&A beavertail pretty much drops in on the .250 radius cut.

The Ed Brown will also require a lot of work on the back of the frame to match the contour. The Ed Brown results in a higher grip, but takes more work to get there.

• 2 weeks later...

One note here: Current Springfield frames use a .220 radius. I am not sure about the old ones. Better check!

Later,

Chuck

PS: Look at the lower part of this page: http://www.smithandalexander.com/gripsafety.html

I am also interested in changing my low-ride grip safety of my colt gold cup but until today i had no idea that there is a new high-ride safety grip availabe for the old 1911 frames. I looked at the s&a site but am notnsure wich one i need. Is it the 250 or 220 angle that fits my colt? I just bought a grip safety from kimber but was very dissapointed when i discovered it does not fit...

I am also interested in changing my low-ride grip safety of my colt gold cup but until today i had no idea that there is a new high-ride safety grip availabe for the old 1911 frames. I looked at the s&a site but am notnsure wich one i need. Is it the 250 or 220 angle that fits my colt? I just bought a grip safety from kimber but was very dissapointed when i discovered it does not fit...

The .250 radius should fit the Colt. The tang on the Springfield is somewhat smaller, the .220 radius allow for a gapless blend of the safety and the frame.

If your Colt has not been modified for an aftermarket beavertail, none of the high grip units will fit.

If it has been altered, you must figure out which format it is cut for.

My colt is an "out of the box" gun and no modifications were made to it. It has the low ride grip safety on it. Am i doomed? Isnt there any nsolution for old style 1911 frames to fit the new high ride grip safeties? I thought that this is what the S&A grip safeties were all about. So what is the difference between the S&A safety grips and all the other after marketi high ride safety grips?

I just had a look at the wilsonn site. It looks like they have what i need (item 429sg). Am i right?

Perhaps.

That beavertail requires a commander style hammer. It will also work with a govt. model style if the tang is cut off.

It does not appear to fit a series 80.

Drop in beavertails generally leave much to be desired in appearance, and will not raise your grip all that much. however, they are relatively inexpensive, and allow you to return the to stock configuration.