Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Confused about the call...

DrKyle1

I've been shooting this sport since 1979. Took my first RO class in 1984. The bottom

line here is you follow the rules. The second is you use common sense and always score

in favor of the shooter. That doesn't mean you give the shooter something they do not

deserve but, you give them the benefit of the doubt. The RO got this wrong and I think

you are taking the proper approach (after getting over it) and talking to him and showing

him what the rule book says. Like its been said before in other posts; the RO should want

to get every call correct and should welcome information to help them do that.

Re thought my opinion, Yes you were victim of bad call, but as a competitor you also have the responsibility of knowing the rules, so if you accepted the bad call without appeal, you share some of the fault.

The bottom line here is you follow the rules. The second is you use common sense and always score

in favor of the shooter. That doesn't mean you give the shooter something they do not

deserve but, you give them the benefit of the doubt.

That first sentence is right on the money.

The rest, however, as well meaning as it is, is where some people go astray. Nowhere in the rulebook will you find "benefit of the doubt". It's an outmoded phrase which keeps getting repeated.

A call is never made based on doubt - in either direction. A target score is always based on the visible evidence - the RO should not "favor" anyone. A penalty is never called unless the RO is sure. So "doubt" has no place in our game. It's either there or (without evidence) it's not. To do otherwise creates scoring inconsistencies.

:cheers:

I carry a copy of the rule book in the fron pocket of my range bag. probably about time to re-read it again with the IN sectional match coming up. id hate to have something like this happen to me there. Im still wanting to take the RO class myself, but my schedule is way to obusy to allow it right now. hopefully soon tho.

to the OP, sorry to hear about your bad call. that really sucks

Corey, be sure to get the latest updated version from the USPSA web site. There have been a few changes this year that are not in the paper version (unless you printed it yourself).

Joe W.

I must be missing it. Where is the the latest updated version from the USPSA web site? The link for "January 2008 Edition USPSA Handgun Rule book" still points to a version that doesn't incorporate the changes that were effective March 2010 like speed shoot course of fire, and the clarifications defining standing facing up range.

Skydiver, I goofed. I could have swarn they had uploaded the new version of the rule book including the additions. Guess I should go check my downloaded copy on the desktop ASAP. With that said I should print out a few copies of the updates and add those to my rule books so I don't screw the pootch one of these days. Thanks for point that out. :cheers:

Rules changes can be found here

Rule book correction can be found here

Joe W.

Edited by joecichlid

Skydiver, I goofed. I could have swarn they had uploaded the new version of the rule book including the additions. Guess I should go check my downloaded copy on the desktop ASAP. With that said I should print out a few copies of the updates and add those to my rule books so I don't screw the pootch one of these days. Thanks for point that out. :cheers:

Rules changes can be found here

Rule book correction can be found here

Joe W.

Or better yet, check out Bill Noyes' post that has all the corrections in a convenient format that you can glue/paste into your copy of the rule book.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=108365&view=findpost&p=1237767

Or better yet, check out Bill Noyes' post that has all the corrections in a convenient format that you can glue/paste into your copy of the rule book.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=108365&view=findpost&p=1237767

That works even better! Thanks for the link. Somehow that one slipped past me. :cheers:

Joe W.