Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Having some second shot issues with Trigger Control

zero-down

This year I've been learning alot about my shooting habits and really been working hard on how to improve them. Throughout the winter I changed a number of aspects of my game including stance, grip, body position, even the load I run through the gun to better maintain sight picture and reduce recoil.

For some reason I've picked up this really bad habit over the past two months and I can't seem to break it - thus asking for some wisdom and guidance.

When I engage a target my first shot is usually right in the center of the the A - cool. Then comes my second shot. My follow up is almost always a flyer. Usually a charlie, delta, or even a mike. I always thought it was sight picture (and it sometimes is) but it wasn't until the last match I shot that I realized the main culprit was and is my trigger control. As soon as my front sight comes back on target I'm breaking the second shot - but I'm smashing the trigger. Instead of a solid, consistent pull and good follow through, I'm pulling like hell trying to speed the break of my second shot. Being a lefty this is pushing all my second shots to the mid and upper right of the target. To break it down - I'm rushing, plain and simple.

I spend a lot of time dry firing which has had a significant impact on my first shots - which again are almost always A's. This isn't helping me though with second shots. I can pull the trigger slowly all day long and maintain sight picture but under the buzzer my habits are different. I like to go fast and push myself but I need to control my trigger finger under the speed.

Any recommendations on training techniques/drills to work on that second shot? I know of the obvious answer of slowing down but I'm hoping there is some wisdom and advice you guys can give to work on this.

With an empty gun; Press the trigger until the hammer/striker falls. Keep the trigger pressed while you rack the slide. Slowly release the trigger until you hear/feel a click. That is the trigger/sear/hammer reset. Press the trigger.

If you do this with live fire, press the trigger and hold it, then slowly release until you feel the click then press again, you should find the group size will be much smaller.

With practice you can do this really fast, I suspect that you are completely releasing the trigger after the first shot instead of maintaining an even pressure on the trigger through each shot.

your out-shooting your sights, plain and simple. the 2nd shot is being rushed as you have already diagnosed yourself. just gotta make yourself slow down and wait until the sights are back where they should be. As Britin posted, practice finding the reset of your trigger and dont let your finger come completely off it so you have to slap the 2nd shot. Also, dont get caught up in "double taps". they dont exist. 2 seperate shots with seperate sight pictures, some people just see them faster than others :)

Kind of funny- lots of different advice though. Here's mine. I suffer this problem on occasion as well.

You "may" be seeing your sights after your first shot, but whether you are or aren't- the mashing of the trigger is causing problems.

I don't just go past the reset and I personally don't think it matters how far you go past... but... you have to control the trigger, I try to

prep the trigger as soon as I can after my last shot so my next shot is almost ready to break as the sights are settling in on the next shot. Prepping is key IMO... a bad trigger pull can tank shots.. even easy ones at 5 yds!

to add to my previous post. dryfire.....LOTS of dryfire. Just draw and acquire a target and do "bill drills" whie dryfiring. you'll see your sights moving if your mashing the trigger.

• 2 weeks later...

Next live fire practice, shoot strings with 1, 3, or 4 shots on each target. Break the 2 on each habit.

Put a target out to 30 yards or so, and spend your session learning to score well on that one target.

Lots of ways to practice.

OMG you got it 2. Ok, you know what it is now just stop doing that. I'm done kidding. Along with all the other advise try this. At make ready draw the gun give it a rack and take aim at the first target and pull the trigger. Chances are you are going to jerk it down, it is the nerves thing, do it again, all good now go ahead and pony up and get ready. I started doing this a couple matches ago and it seems to be helping me get clamed down and shoot better.

The latest buz going around is present tense get your mind off time there is only now, and to quote BE when you see what you need to see break the shot.

Any recommendations on training techniques/drills to work on that second shot? I know of the obvious answer of slowing down but I'm hoping there is some wisdom and advice you guys can give to work on this.

Take a third sight picture. That makes you call your shot since you're not rushing to move the gun somewhere else. Eventually you'll stop with the third sight picture, but it will help fix the problem. Shoot some bill drills and make them all be alphas...just go as fast as you can shoot an A every time.

Whatever you do, don't even think about trying to partially release the trigger, to the reset point, between shots. That makes for a slow trigger reset, since nobody (including TGO and TJ) can do it fast....I saw the actual data on that one. Then, in order to make up the time, you rush the trigger press and you've already seen what happens when you do that. R,

zero-down,

Lose the idea of a "second shot." Or in other words, shoot every shot as a "first shot."

be

I totally agree with Brian on this one. As hard as it has been to get it through my thick head I am finally starting to practice this one all the time.

Joe W.