Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 Magazines

JoeInKS

New to the whole 1911 platform other than having a .45 Colt Government Model for quite some years that I really haven't shot much. Now wanting to try something different in local events. If I get a current single stack 1911 by some manufacturer:

1 - Would I be able to buy any available magazines for the gun or are they specific to each manufacturer?

2 - What's the largest permissible and available capacity magazine?

3 - Any recommendations on material to read / view concerning doing gunsmithing on the 1911 platform? I can imagine that I'll want to experiment with varied hammers, etc.

Thank you.

Edited by JoeInKS

1. Any available, although some guns are picky and before you buy 6 of them, I'd test one out in your gun. Do a search and you'll get a million hits...

2. If you shooting in Single Stack division (the division specifically designed for the 1911 platform) you would be limited to 10 rounds for minor caliber, 8 rounds for major caliber. But the gun and magazine have to fit in a box, so you can't shoot 45ACP loaded to minor in 10 round mags. If you shoot in Limited 10, you'll be limited to 10 rounds. I find that in magazine limited states, Limited 10 is where you find most 1911. In non magzine limited states, single stack seems to be growing. These are just my observations. YMMV.

3. There are a million references on the platform in all media types (online, books, DVDs, etc.) I'll let someone who has read one of those suggest something. I use a trial and error process, which doesn't appeal to everyone.

Mods may want to move this to the 1911 forum.

Shoot what you got. If you already have a Colt in 1911, shoot it for a while. People at USPSA matches will give you all the pointers you can take if you ask. Make sure if you are running a full size that you get full size mags. I recently shot a match where a shooter had just purchased brand new Wilson mags for his Kimber full size. The guy at the gun store said they were for his gun. His gun would not cycle the rounds out of his mag. When he pulled the mag out, it was a 7 round wilson mag for a commander length frame. For the full size frame, get the Wilson 47d.

Randy

Edited by h2osport

• 3 weeks later...

I have kind of an assortment of 8 round magazines:

Shooting Star and Metalform 8 shot: Both took some spring swapping to get them to run well. I think I ended up with SS followers in the MF tubes, too.

Wilson 47D: Good feeding, but I had to replace the springs about every other year at my rate of use. One finally quit dropping free. I could not see a crack but it would not iron out so I demoted it to a Barney mag.

McCormick Power Mag: Works well, good value. I had to tweak one a bit to get it to engage the slide stop in one gun but all worked fine in two others.

Tripp Cobramag: Not mine, but another guy's worked fine in my gun.

There is an obscure 8 shot Metalform that protrudes about 3/8" without base pad that runs like a champ. It will not fit the Single Stack or IDPA Box with a regular pad screwed on, but a thin rubber pad glued on is ok.

New to the whole 1911 platform other than having a .45 Colt Government Model for quite some years that I really haven't shot much. Now wanting to try something different in local events. If I get a current single stack 1911 by some manufacturer:

1 - Would I be able to buy any available magazines for the gun or are they specific to each manufacturer?

2 - What's the largest permissible and available capacity magazine?

Thank you.

I have quite a few Wilson Mags in my store at 10% off MSRP. They're great mags.

be

shoot the Colt, thats what im doing! I just started this year in USPSA Single Stack and my 5" Colt XSE is the gun i had at the time so im running with it. Im using CMC powermgas for what its worth