Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I'm in South Florida. There are times I can't take my carry gun with me and must leave it in the car. I've been putting it above the visor. Last time I noticed it was almost too hot to handle. Does anyone have some insight on the implications of this? I use S&W Dry lubrication so that shouldn't be an issue but I wonder about the effect on powder / primer.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Ah that I were young enough to have focus now that I see the use of it. - Me

Try storing it under the seat or in the console. The temperature will be higher next to the roof in your car, especially if your roof doesn't have much insulation. Just touch the interior next to the roof after the car has been parked on a hot sunny day and see for yourself. Some of the heat from the roof may actually be transfering to your gun if it is next to the roof on the visor.

Phil G

Edited by Phil G

• 3 weeks later...

I had a loose Federal .22lr cook off in the console of my truck..... Nothing in there for it to bang against that'd set it off, but that it did. scared the livin' daylights out of me! Who knows how long it'd been in there, at least a year, and extreme temperature fluctuation HAD to have played a factor. Fortunately, other than a underwear inspection, no harm was done.

Ken

As a sidenote, Comptac has a warning on its webpage warning against leaving your Kydex holsters in the car as the heat could casue some deformation. So beware if your carry holster is kydex.

Dependant on the lubricant you use in the gun. You could experience some issues. One of my officers years ago put white lithium grease in the action of his revolver (yea that long ago). He placed it under the seat of his car for one summer in NC as he was stationed in the jail for that period. When he went to the range for qualification the action would not function without a detailed strip of the gun and strong solvent cleaning. The grease had baked into a hard lacquer and locked the action solid.

Edited by pvhendrix