Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any Recommedation for Ranges in or near Detroit

As the title states, are there any good ranges in or near Detroit (specifically near Livonia)? Looks like I'll be getting a job in Livonia and moving out and away from my local ranges here in the UP. Thanks for the help.

-Drew

Isn't all of Detroit a "two-way" range?

Detroit is a relative term as the City is only from the river north to 8 mile, west to Livonia, east to Lake Saint Clair and south to River Rouge with about a million people. The Detroit metro area encompasses about 10-15 million and each part has its own crime rate.

There's also Detroit Sportsman's Congress and Livingston Gun Club but they'd be a little further away from you, 25ish miles.

you can use the search on wheretoshoot.org and it will turn up a lot of other indoor ranges in your area.

At NO point does Detroit have a common border with Livonia. Redford Township is between them. We call it the buffer zone or DMZ.

Brian

Sorry, most of my time working down there was spent in Warren or Troy and lived in Waterford outside the war zone.

Thought I would post my thoughts on this matter since........

A: I run the USPSA program at Wayne County Raccoon Hunters. Brian is right. If you live in Livonia (nice neighborhood.....voted one of the top 100 safest city's in America with populations over 100,000), it is only 20 minutes to the range where we have 10 pistol bays with perfect drainage and no baffles over the ranges (those will be big selling points to you as visit our other local ranges (DSC and Livingston).

B: My office is located in Redford Township and we are the Insurance Agency for the township. Redford is kinda like a DMZ. I hadn't thought of it like that before but it sums it up pretty good. We see the crime stats and trends from east of Telegraph road (detroit) and it is a scary sight. Welcome to the crime capital of the United States. And you wonder why soft body armor was developed here.....(richard davis from Second Chance.....now Armor Express) While not number 1 anymore in murder rate (top 5), assualt/battery (top 5), rape (top 5), auto theft (top 3) ect......we do score well when you combine all the stats. So yeah, some of our competitors take thier CPL's pretty serious. (many know of James Tarr the writer/shooter...google him and find out why he is such a big fan of carrying a pistol).

C:We do have some very nice area's, some good sports teams (do not hold us responsible of for the Lions...!!!!) and some great people. Think of it this way......no mudslides, no wildfires, not many tornadoes, no droughts, no hurricanes or other disasters. We have great hunting, more water activities than just about anyone else and you get Windsor, Canada included in the deal. Think of Las Vegas.....with less laws and only 30 minutes from the house. Plus, your money may be worth more again in the near future. It's not all bad. Just how you look at it.

Let me know when you get here and we'll show you around to the ranges/schedules ect. The local USPSA groups put on some pretty good stuff.

Regards,

Roy Neal

Hey there are more things around here then just crime. You guys forgot to mention some of the more spectacular sites / eating establishments in and around town... The yacht club springs to mind… or the Crestwood… great places for lunch… :cheers:

woof

ROY NEAL,

Thanks for all the help, and everyone else. Roy, I'll be for sure in contact with you when I get down there. I'm looking forward to shooting some IDPA and USPSA. I thought Livonia was quite nice when I went down there last week. And I did have my CPL when I traveled there.

-Drew