Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Incorrect Walk thru

xsniper

I am only confessing this to try to re-enforce this to myself. During the first walk thru of a COF last weekend I never saw a plate inside of a cutout in a plastic barrel. You would think a big blue plastic barrel would capture my attention..but nooo :blink: . I walked thru the stage at least three times before engaging, each time missing the plate. So what chance did I have of seeing it during my run. NONE. I have got to make sure my walk thrus are correct instead of rushing them in order to get multiple reps. I WILL!

further reason to look at the round count and make sure to see them all, then try to find the attack plan. lesson learned and im sure itll make future stage breakdowns better for you. thanks for posting!

A great way to attack this is to realize that if a prop is on the stage...be it a window, barrel or door...it was probably hauled out there for a reason.

Often (nearly always...and I highly suggest it) you can pick out, and label number, the shooting positions.

For example, you might have to go to the corner of two fault lines, call that Position A. Then go to a window, call that Position B. Then a barrel, Position C. Postion D might be the edge of a wall. etc.

I will often walk around the back side of a stage and look at the targets from a different perspective.

Depending on the complexity of a field course, standing behind a target and looking at the different positions from which that target can be engaged, will sometimes reveal an advantage that others haven't seen... plus you might notice a previously unnoticed target!

I will often walk around the back side of a stage and look at the targets from a different perspective.

Depending on the complexity of a field course, standing behind a target and looking at the different positions from which that target can be engaged, will sometimes reveal an advantage that others haven't seen... plus you might notice a previously unnoticed target!

i've never thought about that, but i like it! i may have to try that next match to see if i see anything new!

The first thing I always do is to get the round count, then look at the stage from the backside. Then I walk through from one side then the other side. Then I step back and try to picture the whole stage from above.It always works until the buzzer goes off :roflol:

I was taught to look for target stands as well, sometimes you can see a stand behind a wall that blocks your view of the target from where you are and then you can move till you see that a target is attached to the sticks

Last month I shot a stage where I got 8 Mikes and 4 FTE. I was so worried about how I was going to transition to one target that was basically behind you after the first array, that I blew past an array between them. I couldn't believe I'd forgotten the whole array.

When I got home I downloaded the video from my hat cam that had been running the whole time. That's when I saw why. I "airgunned" the stage 4 times before I shot, and skipped the array every time. :blink:

Edited by cas

I "airgunned" the stage 4 times before I shot, and skipped the array every time. :blink:

Look at the bright side... you executed your plan flawlessly!

Another positive, is at least you were consistent. And you probably wont make the mistake again. hopefully.....

I "airgunned" the stage 4 times before I shot, and skipped the array every time. :blink:

Look at the bright side... you executed your plan flawlessly!

Another positive, is at least you were consistent. And you probably wont make the mistake again. hopefully.....

'all ways look on the bright side of life'

I do this too - especially when the whole squad is doing the congaline shuffle right off the bat. When you can see someone standing in the shooting positions, it will be quick to see where targets are/are not available. Then - as a couple of the people drop out of the conga line there is space to get your footwork laid out. In my planning, it seems to be a waste of time to wait in a line of 3 people to see what a shooting position will look like - and then have no idea how you are going to get there or what the stage looks like as you are getting there. Too many times I ran past a position because I didn't have a clear feeling what entering the position would feel like in real time.

Too many times I ran past a position because I didn't have a clear feeling what entering the position would feel like in real time.

Just before it's time to end the walk through, I will try to run a full speed or close to full speed run through to get a feel for the timing between each shooting position. Really helps eliminate over shooting a spot I'd planned on stopping.

Well my time was pretty great. :D;)

(though the one guy who beat me over all shot it like 6 seconds faster, and left me scrtaching my head and wondering about timer errors. )

Just about did this myself the last match at Warsaw. Had an 8" plate low behind a barrel from one position and then from another position I thought I was looking at the same plate. Thank goodness I kept coming up one round short in my walk thru and mentioned this out loud.