Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

minor major scoring

snokid

Hi

I've been shooting idpa for a year and want to give uspsa a try I went to a match to watch, and I noticed that in minor you had to have better hits.

well I went to the uspsa website and read the rules and that is what it said also, but I talk to a avid uspsa shooter and he told me that I was kind of right but not really.

ok as I understand I will be shooting a 9mm so I would be limted 10 minor

so do I need two "a" hits? to not have a big hit for not nueterizing the target?

is there a faq for uspsa rules?

thanks

Bob

Bob,

There are four primary things to consider:

1) If you are competing in USPSA Limited Division (or IPSC Standard & Modified), you must shoot a minimum calibre of .40 (or 10mm) to qualify for Major.

Note there is no minimum calibre for Major in Open Division but there is a minimum bullet weight (USPSA=112 grain, IPSC-120 grain).

2) Once you satisfy the first criteria, your bullets must achieve the minimum Power Factor for Major for the Division. In USPSA Limited and Open it is 165.

You will be tested at each match with a Chronograph.

3) If you do not make Major, you score fewer points for the same scoring zone as a competitor shooting Major.

The values for scoring are A zone=5 points (for both Major & Minor), B&C zone=4 points Major, 3 points Minor and D zone=2 points Major, 1 point Minor.

There is nothing inherently wrong with shooting Minor if you are accurate and shoot all A's, however most of us get a buzz out of shooting quickly, and this usually means we get a few C's and D's as a result, and this affects our score.

4) We don't have a strict "neutralise" rule in IPSC/USPSA but you will usually be penalised if you have less than two hits on a paper target.

Bob

What kind of 9mm? Production is probably your division to shoot.

Starting out shoot what you got and practice. When you see the local hotdog and wonder why you can't shoot as fast or accurate, its NOT the gun. You aren't with them as they practice tens of thousands of dryfires and rounds shot. You can get as good though. Good luck and welcome. This is a fun game

P.S. Ask your questions here. These people are friendly and knowledgeable.

If you shoot Minor, you want to shoot about as accurately as you should in IDPA. 98-100%% A hits.

Read the course description to determine how many hits are scored on each target. Sometimes a course can score 6 hits on one target, 2 hits on others, whatever. 99% of the time it's straight ahead best 2 hits scored. If it says Virginia count, don't shoot any more or less than required. If it says Comstock scoring, shoot as much as you need to get an A for each scored hit.

If you have a Glock or double-action gun and carry leather, you should shoot in Production division, where everybody is scored Minor and it's a more level playing field.

thanks guys

I have two guns that I would consider shooting both are nines.

sounds like I should shoot production class

a glock 34 or 1911 9mm seems like I should shoot the glock not as many mag changes as I only have 9 rounders for the 1911.

isn't production the same as limited 10?

and people say that idpa has too many rules maybe I'm just brain dead.

what has got me wanting to shoot uspsa is that the guys that are beating me at matches are shooting uspsa also. I don't know if it's just that they have been shooting longer than me or if it's the figuring out how to run a stage the best way. Either way it's an excuse to shoot more ammo (don't let my wife hear that) she is starting to wonder where all those little copper things are disappearing to? anyways I pratice too much now dryfire everyday shoot every other day.

crap I'm rambling on thanks again guys

Bob

Production is not the same as Limited 10.  Limited 10 allows customization to the gun, where Production is supposedly "box stock"

Your 2 guns are equal in their round capacity - you should only have to shoot 8 rounds from any position - but if I remember correctly, 1911 types aren't allowed in production because they're SA on the first trigger pull.  So if that's the one you want to use, then yes, it's L10 for you and minor scoring.

But - your Glock in Production is the best fit for playing in USPSA.  I just got a G34 for this exact reason!

Snokid,

I've shot mostly IDPA, but shoot some USPSA when I can get to a match.  For me, it's more trigger time.  Both kinds of matches are equally fun, and equally challenging, and I avoid all the trash talking between them.  

A single action 1911 won't work for production...that's a limited gun.  A DA, DAO, or Glock will work in production (which is most closely related to IDPA's SSP division, then).  I shoot my Kimber 1911 in CDP and Limited 10, and I feel that shooting just 1 gun probably helps (though I do shoot my Kahr P-9 carry gun in IDPA, too).

I do believe that USPSA places greater emphasis on speed, while IDPA rewards accuracy.  But in both sports, the two are complementary.  I usually try to go a bit faster when I shoot USPSA, and I work more on accuracy at IDPA, trying to consciously shoot differently depending on the sport...but some of what I do and learn in one carries over to the other, and I'm better at both sports for it.  

As far as neutralizing the target, I don't think USPSA has such a rule.  For a miss you just get 0 points (right?).  

Anyway, as a newbie, I didn't worry about rules too much.  I just showed up with my gun, ammo, and magazines, asked what to do when the buzzer went off, and had a good time.  I remember much better when I learn from experience.  (I'm referring to technical rules of course, and not safety rules, which you should know absolutely before you start).

Good luck, have fun,

DogmaDog

Quote: As far as neutralizing the target, I don't think USPSA has such a rule.  For a miss you just get 0 points (right?).  

Nope - you get a 10 point penalty and zero points.  You'll hear "down 15" which refers to the points you coulda had instead of a miss :-)

HI

In limited 10 if you have a "a" and a "c" hit you haven't neutralized the target and you receive a penalty.

that is the way it was described to me.

but if you were shooting a .45 (major) then it's only so many points down...

is that right?

Bob

No,

This isn't anything like IDPA. Major scoring is 5 for an A, 4 for a B or C, and 2 for a D. Minor is 5 for an A, 3 for a B or C and 1 for a D. No failure to do right or neutralize penalties here. Procedurals are -10 points each, misses are -10 points. If the course requires 2 hits on each target it doesn't matter if it is 2 A's or 2 D's  as long as you have 2 hits. If you have only 1 hit then you get whacked with a -10 points for the miss. Take all your points add them up, subtract any misses or procedurals, then divide the total by your time. This gives you a hit factor. The highest hit factor gets the total points for that stage. Everybody else gets a percentage of the points based on their hit factor. Here is a quick example. Brian and you shoot a stage with 10 targets each requiring 2 hits. Brian shoots 15 A's and 5 C's for a total of 95 points. He shot it in 9.50 seconds. Brain's Hit factor is 10.00. You shoot the stage with 15 A's, 3 C's, 1 D and a miss. Your total points are 89. Subtract the 10 points for the miss and you have 79. Your time was 20 seconds. Your Hit factor is 3.95. Brain would get the stage win and 100 match points. You would get 39.5 points for the stage based on the percentage of Brian's score. If you were shooting Minor the only thing that changes is the point values as outlined above.

Chriss thank you I understand it now.

I also see why if you want to be competitive you have to be accurate or shoot major and be a little less accurate and still win the stage.

I guess then I do have a another dumb question then

if BE was using an unlimited gun and I was using a limited gun he would really kick my butt then? or is a match divided up into classes (like idpa)?

thanks again

Bob

If BE was using a potato gun with Minor load potatos he would kick your ass :)

Yes, IPSC scores by division, so you are only competiting against others in the same division.  This has been the case since 1 January 1997.