Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA Practice

Lubecktech

A. Practice breathing while shooting. With 32 round stages you have to breathe.

B. El Presidente at 25 yards. It has turning, target transition, and mag change.

Good luck,

George

Edited by gfmun

I have been shooting IDPA for a few years and will soon shoot my first USPSA match. I understand USPSA is more challenging than IDPA. Can anyone suggest any good drills or practice stages to help me prepare?

I tried IDPA and IPSC a few years ago, and too dopey to do both

because of the mag changes/cover rulings.

In IPSC, just keep running and shooting, and reload anytime

you feel like it. If you have ten shots in your gun, and you

fire eight, as you're running to the next display, drop the

mag and reload while you're running.

Otherwise, they're pretty much the same thing. But, I couldn't

do both - I kept dropping my mags illegally in IDPA:((

IPSC is More Fun - enjoy it.

I have been shooting IDPA for a few years and will soon shoot my first USPSA match. I understand USPSA is more challenging than IDPA. Can anyone suggest any good drills or practice stages to help me prepare?

:) We do IDPA drills occasionally at Rio with TGO himself. Rio is a USPSA type club. He loves a good laugh just like the next guy. We all look

like we have one ore in the water and it's going astern when attempting IDPA shooting. My hats off to you guys. If your solid AND safe in

IDPA you'll be just fine. Just practice some dry-fire USPSA type reloads and head on out!

:cheers:

• 3 weeks later...

Since you have been shooting IDPA for awhile I would just say to focus on the USPSA style reloads. Make sure you have plenty of mags and just reload whenever you have the ability. Try not to let the gun lock out, I wouldn't really worry about going fast...just make good shots. Have a good time. :cheers:

As an IDPA shooter, you probably have good accuracy skills built in. Now moving over to USPSA, try to look at the stages in a way that allows you to shoot to your strong suits, long range, on the move, fast up close, whatever. The name of the game is shoot as many points as fast as you can, not worrying about cover or dropping a mag. Enjoy both sports for what they are and have fun

My biggest USPSA tip is to focus on strategy(target engagement, movement and reloading "spots") and let the fundamentals (marksmanship, trigger control, reloading, transitions) flow through practice.

Being a long time IPSC/USPSA shooter since the early 90's.. I started IDPA this year. I love it too!

I look at this way, both are same game just different rules. Trigger time is trigger time......

Enjoy!

Practice movement and transitions in dry fire.

Dry fire practice is free, and you can gain so much time through movement and transitions it's not even funny. Watch some top shooters, observe how/when they move, and how it works for them.

Watch yourself and see if you are moving as efficiently. Efficient movement through a stage is everything.