Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Traveling with ammo on delta airlines

I was wondering if anyone had any information about traveling with ammo on delta airlines? I called the rep twice and they pretty much said plastic boxes are a no go, and I must have them packaged in metal or wood boxes, or original manufacturer's box.

I am shooting ammo made from my dillon, and I am not sure how I can get 11 lbs of ammo to the Pro-Am. Any advice on this with dealing with delta?

Thanks,

I fly Delta all the time and have never had them comment on ammo boxes. However, I put all my ammo in factory ammo boxes that I pulled from the trash at the range. That way I don't have to bring any empty boxes back. .38 Super will fit in most 9mm boxes and the rest of the calibers in the corresponding box. It makes it much easier when you can just discard the empties.

I fly Delta all the time and have never had them comment on ammo boxes. However, I put all my ammo in factory ammo boxes that I pulled from the trash at the range. That way I don't have to bring any empty boxes back. .38 Super will fit in most 9mm boxes and the rest of the calibers in the corresponding box. It makes it much easier when you can just discard the empties.

Thanks for the response, looks like that is the angle I will be using as well!

Plastic boxes are 100% legal but the best way not to confuse an agent who may have never seen one is put the rounds in the box and attach a label to the outside that states "Lone Wolf Ammo, Grand Rapids, MI". If they ask you tell them that the plastic box is how that brand is delivered.

The one and only time I was ever questioned I pointed out to the agent that according to my record I was returning to Atlanta with ammo I departed with from Atlanta and since that was Delta HQ I supsected they knew what they were doing there. He smiled and asked no more questions.

Having said all of that I think it best to pack your ammo in old 45 boxes. You can get about twice as much in each box, and as pointed out above it takes up less luggage space and you do not have to tote it home.

I flew them back from SSNationals. The STL agent was dumber than...... totally confused but had the audacity to tell me she has worked for them for 25 years. She had no clue as to what " I have a declaration to make" meant.

As with the other posts, I put mine in a used AA boxes and taped the crap out of them to prevent prying eyes. Nonetheless, the TSA dude, slit the tape to exam the ammo and sure enough ammo fell on the floor. He was mighty confused but recovered and passed me through the check.

BTW: I was told my hard sided case had to have two locks on it since there were two holes for two locks. Luckily I had extra locks on my other bags.

This is just one incident and probably does not represent Delta but it was a PIA.

It seems the new rules do not have the ticket agent confirming the unloaded gun and the tag goes on the outside of the case instead of inside. Again use old boxes and really tape them to discourage opening. Also if you have two bags split the ammo to get past the 11 lb limit. The ticket agent rarely looks into the other bag without the gun.

I flew them back from SSNationals. The STL agent was dumber than...... totally confused but had the audacity to tell me she has worked for them for 25 years. She had no clue as to what " I have a declaration to make" meant.

As with the other posts, I put mine in a used AA boxes and taped the crap out of them to prevent prying eyes. Nonetheless, the TSA dude, slit the tape to exam the ammo and sure enough ammo fell on the floor. He was mighty confused but recovered and passed me through the check.

BTW: I was told my hard sided case had to have two locks on it since there were two holes for two locks. Luckily I had extra locks on my other bags.

This is just one incident and probably does not represent Delta but it was a PIA.

It seems the new rules do not have the ticket agent confirming the unloaded gun and the tag goes on the outside of the case instead of inside. Again use old boxes and really tape them to discourage opening. Also if you have two bags split the ammo to get past the 11 lb limit. The ticket agent rarely looks into the other bag without the gun.

Good to know! ... Man what a pain. I will be putting two locks on my pelican case. I never even thought of doing that!

ps did they weight your ammo? Or did they weigh your case and say " that can't exceed 11 lbs?"

I will be putting two locks on my pelican case. I never even thought of doing that!

Unless something has changed in the last couple of years, the holes for locks on pelican cases will not accept regular padlocks unless you use a drill to enlarge them. But what works great is a lock like you use to lock a trailer to a ball. Not only is it just the right size for the holes in the case, it is snug to the case and does not flop around.

From the Delta website. See the bold highlight.

"Shooting equipment

Shooting equipment is accepted as checked baggage only. It must fit within the very specific criteria that we outline below.

Declare to the Delta representative that you are checking a firearm

Declare the existence of a firearm to security personnel if a security checkpoint is prior to the Delta counter

All firearms must be declared by the passenger to a Delta representative at the main ticket counter

Present firearm(s) unloaded and sign a "Firearms Unloaded" declaration

Firearms must be packed in a manufacturer’s hard–sided container specifically designed for the firearm, a locked hard–sided gun case, or a locked hard–sided piece of luggage. Handguns may be packed in a locked hard–sided gun case, and then packed inside an unlocked soft–sided piece of luggage. However, a Conditional Acceptance Tag must be used in this case.

Maintain entry permits in your possession for the country or countries of destination or transit

Ensure small arms ammunition is packed in the manufacturer's original package or securely packed in fiber, wood, plastic or metal boxes and provide separation for cartridges

If you need to travel with a weapon as checked baggage, you are responsible for knowledge of and compliance with all Federal, State, or Local laws regarding the possession and transportation of firearms. TSA locks are not approved for securing firearms. For more information about this regulation you can visit the TSA site.

If you are transporting a firearm to the United Kingdom as checked baggage, a permit from the United Kingdom is specifically required. You must contact the United Kingdom for more information about securing this permit.

Ammunition in excess of 11 lbs. per passenger or that contains potential projectiles is not allowed."

MDA

The ticket agent did not care about the ammo. She did not weigh the ammo. I put the ammo in two separate bags and somewhat hidden in my shoes. TSA on the other hand, inspected the boxes etc.

I have flown numerous times on several different carriers. I normally put the ammo in factory boxes and tape them. Last time I flew I put them in plastic 100 round boxes. Here is what I would suggest.......

put your ammo in factory or other boxes made to hold ammo, but it must not be loose. Tape them shut.

(what they don't want to see is ammo in bulk boxes able to move around and touch each other)

Place ammo all the way in the bottom of the bag. The 11lb limit is from the airlines and not TSA.

I have a gun in the same bag, locked in a hard case, and declare the gun to them. I don't say anything about ammo.

Make sure to have the locks on the gun case, but I leave them open until I put the declaration tag inside, then I lock it.

The last two times, TSA didn't even open the case.

Make sure to follow the bag as far as you can. I go with the bag to TSA, then with the agent until it goes on the conveyor belt.

Don't walk away until you can't follow the bag anymore. One baggage agent took the bag from TSA after it was checked and then walked outside, where the cars are dropping people off. She then put it on a conveyor belt to the plane. She could have easily gave to to someone else.

Randy