Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Starline 38 Super Comp Brass

jimstc

Anyone have experience with this brass ? I went out today to chrono this brass with 4.80 gr of Titegroup under a Remington 115 gr TEMC bullet. OAL at 1.25. Power factor was 137.09. I finished the chrono and started on some drills. After about 15 rounds the spent cases only ejected errractically. I was using different mags ( McCormick,Wilson,Baer, Kimber) so it didn't seem to be mag related.

The gun is a Baer Premier II with a 5" barrel

(Erik : Feel free to move this to the Reloading topic)

This gun started life as a 9x23. Recently I had Baer fit it for a 38 Super barrel. So I haven't shot much through it other than some Armscor and Federal brass that I had reloaded.

I didn't know that the gun needed to be set up for the rimless variety of brass. Umm,my lack of knowledge is continuing to show.

The super-comp in a SS actually makes a cool carry gun - you can load a real stomper.

But since the rim is noticeably smaller on the super-comp than on the 38 super, a 9mm extractor often works better on the s-comp.

be

Matt M. has a very good point. When the gun was a 9x23 it had a very strong recoil spring. I chronoed some Win factory ammo at around 1350 fps with a 124 jhp. If you are still using the original factory 9x23 extractor it is for a rimless case.

JFS

Benny, thanks I will give that a try. Couple more dumb questions : What is the best way to get an extractor tuned for super comp? Do I have to ship the gun to a smith or are there extractors available for this purpose?

Jim