Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Browning Buck Mark

I just picked up the above gun from a friend.

By the ser.#'s it was made in 1985,has a

5.5" bl. that is slab sided-almost exc.cond.

fixed rear sight.

Any one know anything about this gun? Could

this be used for steel matches?

I have read that many people have luck with the "spring flip". I, however, found no difference.

I read on Rimfire Central a while back that over the course of the years, Browning has changed the weight of this spring or its configuration. Some people say that the flip has offered them an amazing improvement in the trigger pull while many other haven't had the same experience.

I have never tried this myself but I must admit that I am a bit curious. I have chosen not flip the spring just because I don't find the trigger pull all that heavy (and also because to do it I'd have to disassemble the pistol which is something I haven't done in ages... Yeah, I don't clean this pistol often). :devil:

sounds remarkably like what i did when i mistakenly reversed the hammer spring in an AR platform, went from a nasty/heavy but reliable trigger pull to a lighter one, tho 1 out ofthree wouldnt engagethe sear, so back to heavy for now, but hey, for no bucks???? why not give it a try??? you can always put it back right???

I have joined the rim fire central forum- but have

not been given the ok- to post yet. Any way does any

one have an idea on how to tell what model it is?

As the more I read about the BM, the more models

I find they have made!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sounds remarkably like the Buckmark I started with. The answer is yes to steel competition. While I have a 9x23 1911 clone and a comped Sig 229S in 357SIG I really love shooting my Browning Buckmark racegun. I currently shoot my own club matches and travel to shoot Steel Challenge and Ruger Rimfire Series matches. Mine started out as my wife's bullseye target pistol. As she eventually became more disabled I inherited her guns also. I used to use a S&W 22S as my target gun. However when I decided to start shooting seriously I took a look at what I needed and what I had and the S&W had few parts available to mod it. Top 3 guns in rimfire are the S&W 41, the Ruger I/II/III/22-45, and the Buckmark. A race built 41 will set you back close to $2k. You can build a race Ruger or Browning for less than $1k, and maybe less than $600 with parts from Volquartsen and Tactical Solutions. Since the biggest cost is the initial gun and I had the Buckmark I went with that. Now it has a TS alloy lined barrel, rail, and comp, Browning adj trigger, C-More optic, and some internal massaging (but no real gunsmithing work yet). It is the lightest rimfire race gun you can build of the 3 most popular guns. That means it can do the fastest target transitions, if you can keep up with it. As for cycling time I think it may be slightly slower than the Ruger or S&W but that is without doing any mods to speed it up. I've tried using a longer heavier alloy TS barrel with a modified Volquartsen steel comp on it also. That combo was steadier but with slightly slower transitions. At this time my stage times are already under that combo so lighter is faster and better. At the last Ruger Regional event I did (the first one I did so far) I had the fastest time overall on 1 stage and second in 4 others out of 7 with the pistol. I shoot only CCI 40g Mini-Mags in competition (TS recommendation) although CCI Blazers are the same ballistically.

Fortunately or unfortunately depending on how you consider it I also won a Ruger MK III at that event. So I'm going to slick that gun up and compare the 2 side by side at my club events. Some of my friends shoot Ruger raceguns and one has a spare Tac Sol upper for a Ruger that I can get to even up the mods.

Having shot my friends guns I still prefer the Buckmark due to the lighter weight and the smaller grips that fit my hands better.

One of our local ranges here in Western Washington, the Paul Bunyan, has a monthly steel match, and the Buck Mark is a very popular choice out there. Actually the gun I have owned the longest, of all those I own, is a Browning Buck Mark. I'll never get rid of it. I've shot it for fun plinking, I've used it a training gun when teaching classes. I love it. It's just a really, really nice piece.

Hello: Read up on how to do the spring flip mod and enjoy a 2lb trigger for zero dollars :cheers: I like the Buckmark better than the Ruger 22/45. Thanks, Eric

I grew up in Albuquerque, although at 63 it's been quite a while. When my parents were alive we lived in the NE heights after my father retired from the USAF.

Here is what I found out about the sear springs in the Buckmark. The ends of the spring can be one of 2 configurations, one with the ends in the same plane and one with the ends forming a shallow V. The ones with the V will give the most reduction, close to 1/2 while the one with the ends in a straight line will reduce it only from about 20-35% when you do the Heggis flip. The straight spring is more common now or the correct one in older guns. If you go to someplace like Midway you will find 2 springs listed, one for the Buckmark rifle/pistol and one for the Buckmark Varmint/Silhouette pistol. I got both and it appears the one that is currently available in the V shape is the latter of the 2. However since I'm using the Browning trigger with the adjustable overtravel it is hard to tell what the actual reduction is.