Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New shotgun time!

Rangertim

So I finally got the funds for a 3 gun shotgun. I just started out and used a Winchester 1300 Defender. 7+1 pump. As I am always excessive when it comes to competition, I want to get a good semi-auto. Found a Winchester Super X 2 with an extension already on it at a local shop. I can tell it was somebody's 3-gun shotgun from the velcro patches, extension, and fiber optic sights. I'm curious if this SX2 is better or worse then the FN SLP and SX2 Practical. And also barrel length for 3 gun. Is there a maximum? I see alot of talk about 22" barrels and the SX2 Practical and FN SLP have 22" I believe. Same with capacity, being new to 3-gun. If I want to compete in either Limited or Tactical (not Open), is there a round capacity max? Preferred amount?

Thanks for the help!

Edited by Rangertim

That's probably good to go. 8 in the magazine+1 in chamber. Some matches let you load the max-8 in mag, 1 on carrier, 1 in chamber. That's for Tactical. Limited is the same except no ghost loads. If I was going to buy a new shotgun tomorrow I would go out and buy a new Benelli M2 with a 21" barrel, add a DMW mag extension, and smooth out the loading gate. I wouldn't buy a Tactical shotgun (18") with ghost ring or rifle sights.

That's probably good to go. 8 in the magazine+1 in chamber. Some matches let you load the max-8 in mag, 1 on carrier, 1 in chamber. That's for Tactical. Limited is the same except no ghost loads. If I was going to buy a new shotgun tomorrow I would go out and buy a new Benelli M2 with a 21" barrel, add a DMW mag extension, and smooth out the loading gate. I wouldn't buy a Tactical shotgun (18") with ghost ring or rifle sights.

Glad this thread just started. I'm looking at moving up to a semiauto from a Mossberg 590; can I ask why the M2 with 21" barrel and not the tactical 18" versions?

Also I ran across and older H&K M1 Super 90 for $850, measured a 19" barrel; would this be a good contender?

Glad this thread just started. I'm looking at moving up to a semiauto from a Mossberg 590; can I ask why the M2 with 21" barrel and not the tactical 18" versions?

Also I ran across and older H&K M1 Super 90 for $850, measured a 19" barrel; would this be a good contender? (not unless it has a ribbed barrel, which I doubt)

The 18" guns are essentially slug guns and they have no ribs. The 21" so you get a rib, not a blank barrel. 21" barrels come even with a +8 mag extension tube. You look at the target with shotgun-you don't need sights., it just takes a little practice with slugs and a fiberoptic bead and you have it.

Edited by Jadeslade

Also I ran across and older H&K M1 Super 90 for $850, measured a 19" barrel; would this be a good contender? (not unless it has a ribbed barrel, which I doubt)

The 18" guns are essentially slug guns and they have no ribs. The 21" so you get a rib, not a blank barrel. 21" barrels come even with a +8 mag extension tube. You look at the target with shotgun-you don't need sights., it just takes a little practice with slugs and a fiberoptic bead and you have it.

I'm comfortable with the ghost ring and white dot front sight on my Mossberg 590; are you saying I'd be faster (with practice) with a trap-like rib and bead set up?

Edited by ParaOrdnanceLarry

I'm comfortable with the ghost ring and white dot front sight on my Mossberg 590; are you saying I'd be faster (with practice) with a trap-like rib and bead set up?

Ghost rings are good in fighting situations, but you will be faster and just as accurate in competition using a rib and good front sight. I used ghost rings for years on working guns, but I have moved on to XS Sights DEA style sights because of the increased speed in aligning express type sights. It is much faster to put the XS dot in the shallow rear than to center a post or dot in a rear aperature, even ghost ring in size. Ghost rings are more intrinsically accurate than other systems when using slugs, but you have to consider how often you will be shooting slugs.

The advantage of the longer barrels is also that many of them have an interchangeable choke system. There are several 18" tactical guns with chokes too, but you are usually stuck with a standard bead front or ghost ring systems.

I made the switch when I began practicing on moving targets. I found that I was considerably faster using a rib with a good front. I was able to track and shoot the moving targets more effectively because I was not having to align the front post in the ghost ring and then try to locate the target with all that clutter.

An easy way to try this is to go out and shoot a round of sporting clays with both systems. You will find that the rib system is a considerably faster and easier way to break those birds.

If you want to stick with tactical type shotguns, look at the XS Sight Systems DEA style sights. They can be mounted on most any plain barrel and a quite fast. They are very low profile too, allowing the shooter to keep a consistent cheek weld on the stock.

I run the XS system for vent rib guns on my Benelli M2 and my Rem 870. It is a high visbility dot on the front (or you can run any fiber optic you want) and a vey low profile express sight dovetailed into the rib. You can run it like a purist front bead when shooting shot, and for slugs all you have to do is align the front with the shallow "V".

Check them out at http://www.xssights.com

So I finally got the funds for a 3 gun shotgun. I just started out and used a Winchester 1300 Defender. 7+1 pump. As I am always excessive when it comes to competition, I want to get a good semi-auto. Found a Winchester Super X 2 with an extension already on it at a local shop. I can tell it was somebody's 3-gun shotgun from the velcro patches, extension, and fiber optic sights. I'm curious if this SX2 is better or worse then the FN SLP and SX2 Practical. And also barrel length for 3 gun. Is there a maximum? I see alot of talk about 22" barrels and the SX2 Practical and FN SLP have 22" I believe. Same with capacity, being new to 3-gun. If I want to compete in either Limited or Tactical (not Open), is there a round capacity max? Preferred amount?

Thanks for the help!

Thought I'd re Hi-Jack my thread and look for some help to questions between these shotguns. Thanks!

Thanks for the help!

Thought I'd re Hi-Jack my thread and look for some help to questions between these shotguns. Thanks!

Since I ranted on about other stuff.......... There is no limit to barrel length, but 21" to 22" has been the common length. Maximum of 9 rounds loaded when starting a stage in Limited.

I apologize for the hijacking - I didn't realize it got off topic so quickly.

Sorry sad.gif

It's all good. Was just looking to make sure I found some useful info. Feel free to continue the slightly off topic talks. Thanks.

Thanks for the help!

If the SX2 can hold 8+1-it's good to go for Tactical/Limited. A 22" barrel will be even with a +8 extension. You need to try the SLP-different feel. The maximum barrel is really your choice-no limits. All three of the shotguns you mentioned can be good 3 gun shotguns. Or not. Depends on the particular gun. The issue is really how many shots can I get off really fast, a lot. Basically any shotgun will work good the first time or for one match. But if you are going to run hundreds or thousands of rounds weekly in practice and matches-gas guns get really dirty and high maintenance, inertia guns don't. It's not just about the shooting-they have to run.

Well for what it's worth, I just bought a SLP Mark 1. It's just a bit heavier than a Benelli M1, shoots a decent bit softer, and is ready to run out of the box for the most part. I believe that that SX2 is the same gun. I'd say it's good to go.

Well for what it's worth, I just bought a SLP Mark 1. It's just a bit heavier than a Benelli M1, shoots a decent bit softer, and is ready to run out of the box for the most part. I believe that that SX2 is the same gun. I'd say it's good to go.

Thanks for all the comments. I just picked up a FN SLP MK1 at a shop this week. They said it was used, but I say otherwise. And it came with an extra light load piston and 2 extra chokes. Looking forward to getting a range test done. Thanks!

Thanks for all the comments. I just picked up a FN SLP MK1 at a shop this week. They said it was used, but I say otherwise. And it came with an extra light load piston and 2 extra chokes. Looking forward to getting a range test done. Thanks!

Range tested my new FN SLP MK1 today. Ran 150 rounds through it. Started out with 2 boxes of high velocity performance trap loads. Then 2 boxes each of winchester and federal bulk 100rd packs. I had the light piston in it and it ran like a champ. Perfect every time. I hope that it stays that way, because if it does I think the SLP will be a great shotgun. Thanks for the information and input!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Found a Winchester Super X 2 with an extension already on it at a local shop.

Funny you should mention that, I just ran across an add for a Winchester Super X2 Practical Mark II near me. This might be worth looking into.

Found a Winchester Super X 2 with an extension already on it at a local shop.

Funny you should mention that, I just ran across an add for a Winchester Super X2 Practical Mark II near me. This might be worth looking into.

For all you LE/MIL guys and gals.....I just picked up an FN SLP M1 and FN is giving $100 rebate when you send in the details. Certainly brings the cost down. I own both Benelli and now the FN. The FN seems less finicky with ammo, it runs EVERYTHING like a scalded dog.