Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Going to Madagascar - not the movie

I didn't want to share this too soon - at first it seemed so far away and I didn't want to jinx myself.

Now the time has come and I'm gearing up (already geared up) to go with a fellow BE'r...Cryptoprocta (Dr. Luke Dollar) to visit, study, photo his work in Madagascar. His work takes him there to study their top level predator the Fossa.

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/field/explorers/luke-dollar.html

http://www.earthwatch.org/exped/dollar.html

Also, I'll be doing some ethnographic studies of the local villagers and creating some "photo-history" of the village and the people who help crypto do his work.

It has been touch and go this year getting ready (got downsized in January - acckkk - and still looking) but I HAD to make this work and get there...just one of those feelings you get in your gut and have to follow. Anyway, I hope to help crypto and his cause down there in addition to getting some great photo work for a show this fall/winter...maybe fund another trip with the girlfriend next year. (It should be noted that she has been SUPER supportive! :wub: ) No, I don't need any of you local shooters to check in on her she knows how to use her 228...and the 870.

My trip will be during the month of July for a bit over three weeks. Which I'm sure isn't nearly long enough but maybe I can work this into another trip down there.

It has all become real in the last few weeks...getting shots, tickets, etc. Shots! Rabies shots are almost $300 a piece and you need three! That hurts my wallet more than my arm by a good sight! Then just a bunch of "cheap" HepA/B, typhoid, etc etc...

Anyway, I just thought I'd share with you guys - my other family is getting tired of hearing about it ;)

Thanks to all here who have unknowingly supported my trip!!

Joel

ps. yes I've seen the movie...only so I could tell people "yes" when they ask...and they all do. B)

• 4 weeks later...

Cryptoprocta left yesterday...I'm wheels up Monday!

Looking for some Penguins and Mada-Roaches...and Lemurs, Fossa, crocs, etc etc

I'll be without the beno-verse for almost a month!

Did you work with member cryptoprocta (Dr. Luke Dollar)?

Are they tasty? Sorry bad joke.

I'm so excited I can't sleep...and since I've had my rabies series I hope to get hands on with some furry critters while there.

Did you work with member cryptoprocta (Dr. Luke Dollar)?

Are they tasty? Sorry bad joke.

I'm so excited I can't sleep...and since I've had my rabies series I hope to get hands on with some furry critters while there.

It's been close to 20 yrs, but I don't remember Dr. Dollar. That name would have stuck out!

Be sure your TB shots are up to date. We had several lemurs in quarantine who carried a rare strain of TB from Madagascar that was transmittable to humans. Nasty stuff.

FWIW, I'm told lemur tastes a little like eagle. :ph34r:

Edited by bbbean

Nope not 20 years ago...he's one of those young whipper-snapper PhD-types in their 30's. And an IDPA-guy.

Seems he was studying the lemurs in Mada during the 90's when a Fossa came out and ate his case study...long story short...now he's one of -- actuallty THE --- worlds leading expert on the Fossa. The Fossa is the top level predator there...interesting critter. Here he is (linked from another site. Good story from Luke here.

nova20000525dollar.jpg

TB huh. I think that was somewhere in the series of punctures.

SA-WEEET!

How's the weather?! I'll see you in Majanga in a coulpe days...two pairs of clothes, month's supply of batteries, memory, and cliff bars...soap just adds weight :devil:

I'm wheels up at 15:50 local today.

:D :D :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm back!

Here are a couple of pics...more to come on my site but still sorting them out.

Pic 1. Bee Eater

Pic 2. Taxi Brusse - Goats are alive...and the sheep and chickens (fish don't seem to be alive)...turkeys and ducks ride inside.

Pic 3. The savana - Beautiful place

More later...

post-12620-12809678549_thumb.jpg

post-12620-128096787682_thumb.jpg

post-12620-128096790796_thumb.jpg

Edited by hk_mtbr