Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rifle Power Factor

warpspeed

Hi All

I'll start with a disclaimer. I'm not a rifle shooter, so please be gentle with me! That's not to say I haven't shot one or two in my time but I only have limited experience and I'm not currently active.

One of the discussions within the IPSC Rifle Committee involved the PF and the concept that with the minor PF at 150 guns such as the MP5 can come out to play. Perhaps they could before anyhow?

I recall the discussion being that while it will not, and never should, replace true rifle matches it was certainly another option to consider, especially for some Regions, where a match could be put on with targets only out to say 100 yards.

In addition to the MP5 I seem to recall a couple of other guns being discussed and it was felt "why not?".

Before the traditionalists throw their hands up it horror my understanding is that they thought that providing for it simply provided an extra option and if it didn't start to reshape rifle matches then let it happen.

The info above may, of course, be of no interest whatsoever, in which case my apologies for butting in.

Dropping to 150 to allow 9mm to play? While I don't disagree with dropping the PF, the rationale doesn't make much sense. A 115 has to go 1391 to meet the 160PF, and it is easier for other weights: 125/1280, 147/1088. Out of a 16" barrel, no sweat.

If you're looking to make those from a 10" MP-5 barrel, dream on. So, what was the reason again?

I'm working on a chronor story for one of the magazines, with about 50 different factory loads, 11.5", 16" and 20" .223 barrels. Lots make Minor at 160PF with no problem.

Patrick

I've now done what I should have done to start with. I've properly checked the correspondence. That'll teach me!

Like I said I'm not an expert and the Rifle rules weren't my baby.

The IPSC rules have used a minimum PF of 150 for some time, it would appear at least as far back as 2001 and therefore I presume earlier. The committee had several discussions about the PF but nearly all were related to calibration of poppers.

I guess the change for the US is more a case of standardisation rather than anything more specific and certainly nothing to do with making room for 9mm carbines.

There was a query as to whether the likes of 9mm MP5 could play within the rules and there was agreement that providing they can make the PF then why not. There was also a comment that it was going to be real interesting if out to 300 metres.

Then came a comment about a Region being possibly able to stage a match using mostly MP5s at distances less than 100 metres which suited them because of the popularity of the gun in the Region. Again it was commented, why not, it could be within the rules particularly for Level I or II matches.

I repeat, IPSC have not made any change to the PF in the new rules. The USPSA has not dropped the PF in any way connected with any specific guns. 9mm guns playing in matches is in no way connected connected with the PF changes.

My apologies if it read like this was the reason for the change.

There were two reasons for the USPSA BOD dropping rifle power factor to 150. One, it would then be the same as IPSC so there would not be two different power factors. Second, an AR15 with a 16" barrel should now be able to make minor with almost any factory ammo.

Arnie

Hmm.. a 9mm MP5 with reloads should be able to make it with a slow powder like N105 or 3N38. Heck, the short 9mm-open guns do 165 with lots-o-holes in a 4.5" bbl.

I have a 38 Super Mech-Tech with a 16" barrel and I have to run steel loads in it to get as low as 160 PF.

A 115 has to go 1391 to meet the 160PF, and it is easier for other weights: 125/1280, 147/1088.

If you're looking to make those from a 10" MP-5 barrel, dream on.

Making the PF with a MP5 length barrel is a cake walk. I've chrono'd a load of 8gr of AA #7, using a 124 LRN-GC from a RCBS mold, out a 10.25" Uzi barrel at 1338 fps, and the 115's should be easy to do also with std book loads using AA #5 and 3n37.

I've got 45acp from a 230 LRN RCBS mold doing 1080 using book loads with 540 and 800X from a 10.25" pipe, thats 248.4? Dont have a calculator handy.

Lets see, what .30 call (7.62) rifle load of 147 grains going about 2300 fps is now going to make major? hmm. Its been a long time since I looked at AK load numbers, is that right?

i'm with overkill...."he-man" rules! was thinking of trying to make major with my AK_47, but you gotta push it a little.....that wolf 150 gr. load goes a little over 2100 in my Vepr K, so it seems like it could be done. been talking about it with some guys for a while....mostly "i'll load some and we'll try it in your gun, OK?".......can't seem to get any farther than that though. :rolleyes: